• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hmmm

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tyranos

Quick question. Looking in my CPU details in 3dmark2001, it shows my internal clock @550, and internal clock maximum @600..... Model 8 stepping 12. (mobo model 0648h from compaq)

Does anyone know how I can get it to 600? Setting my multi to 2.0 at 2.5v results in my monitor not turning on, and not being able to turn the comp off with the power button. Do you think raising the voltage would work?

Compaq and other proprietary architecture machines often require much more work than is reasonable--to find out that you can't OC them at all.

Dell, H-P, Compaq and other companies have a totally different philosophy as to what "upgrade" means than members here at OCer's.com's BBS do. To us, it means get a better Vidcard, processor, add RAM and even a mainboard, as necessary, as the budget permits.

To them, "upgrade" means only one thing: Throw your present proprietary box into the trash, or give it to a younger sibling, or maybe donate it to Goodwill, et al. Then buy a brand new system from us!

Divergent philosophies, you might say.

By all means, go to Compaq's Web site and learn all you can about your proprietary machine. It may be possible to squeeze a little more performance out of it. Don't expect too much. When the time comes to buy a new box, you'll understand why proprietary boxes aren't popular with hobbyists. For sure!

Try checking it with SiSoft's Sandra- it gives a lot more information.

I bet that basically means your board will take up to a 600mhz chip, not that you can OC it. Klosters64a is totally right, it is in their best interests to make a box "un-upgradeable".

Back