• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

High idle CPU usage

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Trap

I made a clean install of XP, installed Sp1, all updates installed drivers and now i noticed that my idle CPU usage is not droppin below 35% in task managers "performance" tab.
I checked all processes and none of them is showing excessive usage but the line is holdin still between 30-40%
System is checked for viruses and there are none.
I am goin crazy cuz there is somethin that is eatin my resources and can't find out what.

P4 [email protected]
R9800-latest cats.
1gig RAM

heeelp

Hey guys, i am currently at work but if you want to know about those processes, they are all normal winxp essential processes, no viruses and i repeat NONE of them is showing activity, they are all 00% in TM.
When i come home i will format the new drive to FAT32 instead of NTFS and do a clean install of XP with SP1.
After that i'll check the CPU usage. If it is still 30-40% there must be somethin wrong with my hardware.
I wonder could it be a new HDD? I bought a SG barracuda 40GB yesterday and made it my system disk. i thought that it is maybe it that causes CPU load. But while idle it is showing no activity so i don't think it is a faulty HDD?

Beacuse of this CPU load i lost around 1GHz of my CPU power. I have a big framerate drop in my games.
:(

Something isn't right that's for sure. I don't see how you only have a total of 35% CPU usage. There has to be something(s) that equal the other 65%. Make sure that you scroll through the entire list. It HAS to equal 100% total.

The question is why isn't your machine showing 99% idle when the machine is indeed idle?

OMG
I found out whati s causin my IDLE load
It is USB mini ISDN modem made by TRUST
Immediately after i plug it in and isntall the drivers CPU load goes wild.
Unbelievable!!!
Is it a faulty modem or ther is somethin wrong with my USB controllers?

Trap said:
OMG
I found out whati s causin my IDLE load
It is USB mini ISDN modem made by TRUST
Immediately after i plug it in and isntall the drivers CPU load goes wild.
Unbelievable!!!
Is it a faulty modem or ther is somethin wrong with my USB controllers?

I don't know what a USB mini ISDN modem is, but the problem is that the modem is sending all of it's processing to the CPU rather than having its own CPU. Get a modem that has its own processing power.

USB has to use the CPU to do its job. That's an advantage that firewire has over USB. Firewire does not need the CPU. I don't know that the modem is defective but either way, I would not keep something that uses so many resources.

Back