• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Arctic Silver 5 adhesive?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

05virulosity50

I was reseating my heatsink yesterday and I put down some AS5. Started up the machine and it still ran a little warm so I decided to try again. This time when I removed the heatsink, it RIPPED MY P4 OUT OF THE SOCKET!!! I crapped my pants instantly. But after cleaning up the mess and reinstalling it worked fine! Lucky me i guess. I have a deep trust in the pentium manufacturing now. I have done so many things that should have broken it and didnt (accidentally bent some pins while cleaning it but they just bent back no problem). just thought I'd share.

Um, just so you know, adhesive is glue... it's meant for chips that don't have some support system to hold a heatsink whether it'd be clips, those four holes or P4 clips, therefore, it is not meant to be used on CPU chips

It's made for more or less mofsets on your motherboard or ramsinks etc.

You should use REGULAR Arctic Silver 5.

Click here: http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_thermal_adhesive.htm

Notice at the very top:

Arctic Silver Thermal Adhesive IS NOT intended to be used between a CPU and the CPU heatsink. On a CPU, only use. Arctic Silver Thermal Compound

I am using regular arctic silver 5. Not the adhesive one. i guess it just created a vacuum when the gel was compressed.

-sorry about the avatar if it offends anyone, i'll change it soon.

AS5 is very sticky. You should not spread it over the entire heatspread - follow the new instructions on their site - you should only put a small rice grain in the centre.

I had the same problem with my P4. Every time I take my waterblock off it pulls the P4 chip right out with it. Happended 4 times so far. LOL no problems yet. I don't think I will be taking my waterblock off in the near future though cause it gives me a heart attack each time.

-Alex-

same thing happened to me, Zalman 7000CU stuck to the 2.4C...but in my case broke 1 pin and bent 1 pin :( Now 2.4C is sold and i'm waiting on a 3.0C :D

funny, I never had that problem with AS3

Back