• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I lapped my 2.4C M0 w/1500 Grit

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AudiMan

Gonna throw it in a WC set up tomorrow. Hopefully the temps will go down.

lappedm0.jpg

And here is the Maze 4 that I lapped and bought for $20 on sale :)

lappedmaze4.jpg

I think I should use an extremely small amount of thermal compound cuz it has nowhere to go.

(It's kinda hard to see, but underneath the silver color on the IHS, it starts turning into a copper-like color. Interesting.)

AudiMan said:
I think I should use an extremely small amount of thermal compound cuz it has nowhere to go.

(It's kinda hard to see, but underneath the silver color on the IHS, it starts turning into a copper-like color. Interesting.)
I can tell you this, you did not lap far enough... The IHS is nickel plated copper... you should see ALL COPPER on the top of the IHS. I can see in that picture that the IHS is still not flat (it is actually not supposed to be, but you are past the point of no return). The IHS is fairly thick so you need not worry about going through it. YOu need some 600 grit to get it flat... Here is a pic of mine.

IHS.jpg

When i buy my new watercooling setup im going to lap it, hoping for 10c drop with combined better watercooling/lapping.

Good luck on the job, and yea definatley go down to full copper.

~t0m

Please report if it actually helps cooling. I've heard mixed results (and contoverisal) all the time.

That's what I was thinking, but it was getting late last night. I'll do some 600 grit tonight after work then finish it off with 1500, then I'll assemble it.

As for that 10C drop, my temps dropped 11c by going from a thermalright SLK900 to an Eheim 1250/Jr120/WhiteWater/1/2" setup, not lapped. So 10 c should be well within reach.

Once lapped my older 2.2ghz P4 I saw about a 4 degree temp. drop. Before it was running 43c and it went down to 40c. I havent tried it on any of my other CPUs though. I'm going to lap my 1.6ghz P4 sometime this weekend. Hopefully i'l get a drop in temps on this one too. This one seems to be running around 41 - 44c normally under no load and in idle. Good luck and post the results when you get them.

C-ya

I lapped it a bit more and assembled it. Temps look great considering it is really hot in this room (~26°C)

lapped-load.jpg

Very nice! Now I'm gonna have to try it. Did you do it by hand or use a orbital sander? How long did it take you to get down like that?

I did it by hand. I had two pieces of glass side by side. One had 600 grit, the other had 1500 grit. Each pience of sandpapaer had a few drops of water underneath to make a flat suctioned type of environment.

Apparently it's good to use oil between the sandpaper and the heatsink but this was in my house and I didn't feel like making a mess :p It took about 15-20 minutes per, so about 30-40 min in total.

lap.jpg

With the asus board you need to add at least 10c to those temps, but i say thats a nice achievement for a prescott there :) Well done.

~t0m

Yeah the Asus mobos do read low, but it's funny how Abit users say their mobos read about 10°C high. Also, this is a Northwood :)

My prescott is running on another H20 system on a P4P800/Maze4/Caprice HC. It's a 2.8E @ 3.5. Temps are reported to be 35°C load, 1.485 Vcore. I don't think that's very accurate either tho.

The whole "Abit temps are too high" is wrong, its because it is read from the on-die temperature sensor, so we get every likkle centigrade :/ Im just worried about the health of the asus readers who say that they are @ 37c idle -- that could be as much as 20c low :/

Still nice job, Put some more details in ur sig of voltages, and colour each different bit of info, ie Stock yellow, overclock green, board red etc.

~t0m

Abit has officially explained their mobo temps. Check out the Abit forum for more info. Basically, it's a calculated value. I'm fairly convinced Asus reads a little lower than actual and that Abit reads a little higher than actual.

I guess after all these months of high temperatures that im just getting funny and starting to believe it then... im going to get a thermal probe IN the ihs and sort this once and for all.

~t0m

daniel_dynasty said:
any links on howto lap cpu and water blocks?

In a nutshell,,,

See my glass plates with sandpaper taped on to them? Take the heatsink/waterblock and move it in figure 8's until the whole surface is flat, then move to higher grit paper and repeat. You can use oil between the heatsink and sandpaper if you wish and you can also use a few drops of water between the glass and sandpaper to make it stick to the glass flatter.

AudiMan said:
In a nutshell,,,

See my glass plates with sandpaper taped on to them? Take the heatsink/waterblock and move it in figure 8's until the whole surface is flat, then move to higher grit paper and repeat. You can use oil between the heatsink and sandpaper if you wish and you can also use a few drops of water between the glass and sandpaper to make it stick to the glass flatter.

Sound pretty good. I place my sandpaper on a mirror and leave my sandpaper wet at all time and add dish washer soap or hand soap(liquid soap) on the heatsink then lap it, clean it after a while then repeat over and over again.

Back