• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

System Temperature

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kettle

Not sure if this is the right place to start a thread, but looks like it is as good as any. I have just upgraded my system to an AMD XP 2500+ and an ABIT NF7 motherboard. I just downloaded speedfan so that I could monitor system temperature when I oc, is this program accurate? Also what temperature is safe?

I think the majority of us use MotherBoard Monitor to monitor temps, volts, etc. Try to keep vcore under 50C.

Psyko

Well technically I believe it's 85C for a Barton...But both my overclocks need less than 45C (full load) to stay stable. For a good OC on a Barton I would try to stay below 50C which is why I said what I said.

Psyko

52 idle is a bit warm IMO. load probably hits 60+.

I try to keep my load temps under 48; but thats on water. Id do something to get that temp down; if your stock, then reseat the heat sink. if your OCed either lower your vcore or reseat the heatsink; or both.

Cheers guys, I got motherboard monitor and haven't done any overclocking. The only thing I've changed so far is to increase the ram multiplier to get the ram up to 400. Now the computers running at 40C idle, 50C after I've been running prime95 for a while. I definately want to overclock it somewhat, so I guess I should get some more cooling. I think the first thing I will do is get a new heatsink and fan for the cpu, which of these would be the best? heatsinks and fans

First of alll, you shouldn't change the RAM multiplier, from what I hear, bad stuff happens once you change it from 1:1. Second of all, none of those heatsinks are the best, the most well-regarded one around here is the SP-97, the one I use.

http://www.svc.com/thsp.html

Ok thanks for that, I put the ram multiplier back to 1:1 is there any difference between 3/3, 5/5 and 6/6? I have since bumped up the fsb to 195 and the vcore to 2.0v and ran prime95 but it crashed after 40 minutes so I guess it isn't stable on these settings, I will decrease the fsb until I get it stable as I don't want to increase the vcore before i get some more cooling. Unfortunately I can't find anywhere that sells thermalright gear, so I looked up the heatsink rankings and the next best thing looks like the Vantec Aeroflow TMD, although the rankings doesn't have any of the newer ThermalTake heatsinks, so one of these may be better again. Thankyou very much for your help, I am learning heaps from this.

Psykoikonov said:
Well technically I believe it's 85C for a Barton...But both my overclocks need less than 45C (full load) to stay stable. For a good OC on a Barton I would try to stay below 50C which is why I said what I said.

Psyko

Advanced Micro Devices says that thermal failure will occur when the die temperature (measured TDC on the CPU die) reaches or exceeds 85C. You should keep the chip temperature as low as is possible. Less than 50C is preferrable.

I have since bumped up the fsb to 195 and the vcore to 2.0v and ran prime95 but it crashed after 40 minutes so I guess it isn't stable on these settings

Now you're scaring me...2.0V on air with retail heatsink. Be careful my friend that 2500+ won't last long with that sorta abuse. My 2500+ (non mobility) maxes on air @ 2.255GHz using 1.9V but I have VERY good air cooling (central air @ 20C and large house fan in side of case). I would set everything back to default and give the CPU 1.800V in bios and see if it's prime stable (monitor temps). Then go up 5MHz fsb and repeat until it fails. Then try to up the mem voltage 0.1V to stabilize. Then keep going. You'll find a point where more or less voltage on any componenet still results in instability...that would be your limit. Big jumps in OC are not recomended, far better to go slow.

Psyko

Thanks for the heads up, I dropped it back to 1.8V and back to default fsb. Then I increased the fsb a bit at a time, ended up around 187 FSB. It has proven to be stable so far, but going to leave prime on overnight to check. I also just installed a new heatsink and fan and two more case fans. Got one case fan at the back drawing in new air and the other at the rear pushing out the hot air. This has dropped the temperature quite a bit, so I'm pretty happy, sitting nicely on 45C under full load. I tried playing around with the other voltages as well, but none of them made it more stable on a higher fsb. So now I'm thinking, since the system is heaps cooler now and if the system proves stable the way it is, maybe I can try to raise the voltage up to 1.9 and up the fsb somewhat too. Is there anyway that I could unlock the multiplier?

If you could post what is printed on the black label that would really help us get an idea what kind of speed, at around what voltage your chip can get and whether its locked or unlocked.

It would require the removal of your heatsink (system OFF; yes, I've seen someone remove it with the system running before :shock: ) and should be on the pin grid array.

You'll need to clean the CPU die surface and the heatsink mounting surface and reapply fresh thermal interface to get back up and running.

Righto, well I'll try to get my hands on some cleaning agent tomorrow and I'll give it a go.

Back