• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Antec Truepower True 550 Bad after 2 weeks?!?!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tjr1973

I recently put a new computer together using an Intel 875 Motherboard, P4 3.4 Northwood, 2 Gigs of Corsair XMS Pro Series 3200 RAM, ATI 9800XT, Creative Labs Audigy LS, Coolermaster Case (with good air flow) and an Antec Truepower True 550. After a week and a half the power supply completely crapped out. Couldn't turn computer on or anything. Threw my buddies 30.00 special in (don't even know who makes it) and everything works fine again. The power supply fan usually ran at 1200 to 1300 RPM and I thought this was normal for these PSU's. Did I just get a bad PSU or what? I have a new surge suppressor and I didn't go cheap on that either. Besides that I don't surge problems in this house. Is quality control really that bad or could I have done something to screw up this new PSU? I thought Antec made good PSU's. I'm doing the RMA today and will just have to use my friends until I get a new one back. Any opinions or advice on this would be appreciated.

Hmmm, looks like you got a dud alright. I have a true 550w psu that's 3 years old and still going strong. I say return it for an exchange or refund. Other good psu's are:

Fortron
Sparkle ( made by Fortron)
Enermax
TTGI

And the big daddy of them all : PC Power & Cooling.

Other members will also add their choices of good ones. Sry you had a loss. Kinda odd but it happens. Glad nothing else crapped out.

I hope you guys are right. Just sent it back 2nd day air. This is the first computer I've ever built so I'm a little concerned it was something I did, but I was very careful during assembly. What is the speed of the PSU fans for you guys? 1200-1300 just seems too slow.

judging from your specs, you have a lot of cash. If you have that kind of computer, do NOT skimp on the psu. To all those antec fanboys out there (and that is not a putdown, I was one once), yes, they are good psu's, but in that class system, they are skimping.

You REALLY should get a pc power and cooling 510 deluxe. The rating is only for 510 watts but in reality, judged at the same temperature that the antec is judged for, it is rated for 660watts (if the antec were rated on the same scale that the pc power and cooling is rated on it would give off around 400 watts). not only that it has almost twice the amps that the antec does on the 12v line. It has 3 times better voltage regulation (yes, thats right off the specs, 3% to 1%), active PFC which the antic does not have, fully sleeved cables, a nice, painted finish (including fan and grill), a cool stealth look, a 5 year warranty compared to 3 year, same noise level, etc. etc. Here. Compare.

http://pcpowerandcooling.com/pdf/Turbo-Cool_510_vs.pdf

turbcool-pic4.jpg

turbcool-pic7.jpg

inside.jpg

turbcool-pic5.jpg

turbcool-pic10.jpg

you could have that or:

cables.jpg

connectors.jpg

antec5502.jpg

If you have the cash there is NO excuse not to go pc power and cooling. If you don't have the cash go fortron 530 watt. Way better than antec.

Last edited:
Hmmm, maybe if i hit lotto i can cough up the $219 price tag for one, unless someone here can.."ahem" donate one for a good cause :D

oh btw, I only paid $10 for my Antec true 550w ;)

I said if you have the money. :) It appears that the first poster does.

And you're certainly not going to reccomend the antec over the pcp&c if cost is no object, right?

btw its $310 if you want external pots

Back