• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

VGA Silencer & r9800p problem. HELP!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LogRus

I have recently bought a VGA Silencer for my r9800 pro but I still couldn't OC it much (415/380 max before artifacts) using ATI Tool. I started looking for a problem and found out that my VGA Silencer is spinning the wrong direction (counterclockwise as shown in the picture). Or isn't it? I've checked the cables and they seem to be alright...

Attachments

• direct.jpg
    direct.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 282
I'm also interested in this, I can't seem to bring up the core high, (artifact around 423+). which revision of vga silencer do you have??? I have revision 3.

UPDATE: yes, mine does spin like the pic above.... it may be a bug in revision 3 indeed? anyone can clarify this?

Last edited:
Amourek said:
All revisions of the VGA Silencer rotate counter-clockwise.

so you're saying the way pic is showing was the way it was intended??? I see a lot of wasted air flow there. and how do you know all the revisions are the same??? you have all 3? maybe fan fins are facing the opposite.

UPDATE: my ati driver temp reading is around 68c idle, 75c on load at high speed

Last edited:
oc_byagi said:
I'm also interested in this, I can't seem to bring up the core high, (artifact around 423+). which revision of vga silencer do you have??? I have revision 3.

I have Rev. 2
-
Mr.Radar said:
Have you contacted Arctic Cooling about this?

Yes, no answer yet.
-
Amourek said:
All revisions of the VGA Silencer rotate counter-clockwise.

Where'd you find that info?
-

Maybe there's something else to it then just fan rotating this way?

oc_byagi said:
so you're saying the way pic is showing was the way it was intended??? I see a lot of wasted air flow there. and how do you know all the revisions are the same??? you have all 3? maybe fan fins are facing the opposite.

UPDATE: my ati driver temp reading is around 68c idle, 75c on load at high speed

wow thats really hot, are you sure its seated right?

LogRus said:
I have recently bought a VGA Silencer for my r9800 pro but I still couldn't OC it much (415/380 max before artifacts) using ATI Tool. I started looking for a problem and found out that my VGA Silencer is spinning the wrong direction (counterclockwise as shown in the picture). Or isn't it? I've checked the cables and they seem to be alright...

I just slowed mine down on a desktop benching rig and mine turns that way also?? I've got a thermisistor probe. Drilled into it. I'll see if reversing it lowers the temps.

Also dont expect magic from it. the card next to me only did 15 mhz more on the core installing the cooler up to 440 up from 425 stock. Volt modded im up to 510/ 400 memory volt modded core 1.85volts. memory 2.85 volts.

Break out the soldering iron if you want the big numbers.

This is probably a dumb question but, what kind of thermal paste did you put on the core ? If so, did you clean off the core before putting on the new thermal paste ?

It sounds like you didn't put any thermal paste on the core and that seems like the reason for your temps. That or either you have NO AIRFLOW in your case at all.

Tedinde said:
I just slowed mine down on a desktop benching rig and mine turns that way also?? I've got a thermisistor probe. Drilled into it. I'll see if reversing it lowers the temps.

Also dont expect magic from it. the card next to me only did 15 mhz more on the core installing the cooler up to 440 up from 425 stock. Volt modded im up to 510/ 400 memory volt modded core 1.85volts. memory 2.85 volts.

What you've got on a stock cooler is what I want to have with VGA Silencer :). Since I want to flash this card to 9800XT I expect at least 425/375 stable o/c from it.

Please tell us the results after you'll reverse it!! :drool:

Last edited:
bafbrian said:
This is probably a dumb question but, what kind of thermal paste did you put on the core ? If so, did you clean off the core before putting on the new thermal paste ?

It sounds like you didn't put any thermal paste on the core and that seems like the reason for your temps. That or either you have NO AIRFLOW in your case at all.

Yes, I did put thermal paste on it, and Yes I cleared off the core before putting on the new thermal paste (it was SO SHINY!! :D). I have 3 case fans, 1x120mm at front, 1x80mm in the back and 1x80mm side fan (and of course PSU fan :p). I think that should be great for a good airflow. And I've also tightened the HSF really good to the card, so should be no problem there....

stan03 said:
wow thats really hot, are you sure its seated right?

Yes, I put AS5 as well. People who posted, can you guys try and see which way the fan's spinning? (correct way spinning the way fins are facing? or the opposite?)

BTW, you people with VGA Silencer/9800Pro plug two hole power connector into three hole on-board connector??? That is what I did and fan seems to be working just fine, but could this be the cause for slight high temperature??? Maybe my fan's not getting enough power.

I would also like to know 9800p/VGA Silencer idle/load temperature. (for those who soft-mod to XT and have temp monitoring)

Mine spins that way. What makes you think it should go the other way? The curvature of the blades pushes the air outwards. If it went the other way it would be trying to cup the air inwards.

My Rev 2 spins like the above picture aswell. The direction of the spin seemed odd at first...I guess I though they had intended to make the fan spin like that....Seems the fan would move more air by going in the other direction.......someone wanna try?

Romebaby said:
Mine spins that way. What makes you think it should go the other way? The curvature of the blades pushes the air outwards. If it went the other way it would be trying to cup the air inwards.

That's true, I guess that is it. How is your idle temperature? Mine is around 61-68 idle, 75-80 load at stock speed.

invisible hand said:
Seems the fan would move more air by going in the other direction.......someone wanna try?

I think so too, and I'm really hoping that Tedinde would soon do that :temper:.

Tedinde said:

o yeah, I was always curious about this, do increase in agp voltage actually help video card overclock better? (sorry if this sounds like a noob question, because I am)

Back