• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Possible bad psu?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Airbornederekc

goin from normal load to full load on my processor i see a .2v drop in my +12v line. is that a problem and could that be a reason my puter can be unstable at times

depends on what it is dropping to. a 0.2v drop is fine as long as you're above 11.4v. Even getting close to 11.4v is iffy. A good PSU shouldn't dip below 11.65 under load. Usually, any lower than that and you'll run into issues. This is assuming that you measure with a DMM and not using software, as I've found the hardware monitoring sensors on most motherboards inaccurate.

Know Nuttin said:
depends on what it is dropping to. a 0.2v drop is fine as long as you're above 11.4v. Even getting close to 11.4v is iffy. A good PSU shouldn't dip below 11.65 under load. Usually, any lower than that and you'll run into issues. This is assuming that you measure with a DMM and not using software, as I've found the hardware monitoring sensors on most motherboards inaccurate.

I agree with you, generally what I have found if your PSU drops below 11.6 you've just crossed the line and may begin to notice intermittant problems. Especially if your overclocking. Oh and did I mention that since your now running on less volts you will be drawing more amps to make up for the loss in voltage and still supply the same wattage which will result in more heat in your PC which can make it hiccup at times especially under high loads. Generally RAM errors are the most common ones that I have seen.

Back