• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P4 Safe [email protected] to 1.xx?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JenBell

Hi

I am slightly confused after reading a few older posts. I thought running vcore over 1.65 was like sending your cpu to an early death?
I was thinking, to get my 3.0 to 3.4 I have to up the vocre to 1.67v. I have not been above this on the Max3.
As I am using watercooling (zalman reserator) could I afford to go higher? How high should I allow the cpu to go? 1.7v? 1.72, 175, 1.77+ ?
I also heard that penty's die really quick at high volts, so what do I do?
I will be getting a 3.2 with the 30 caps as my current cpu has no 30 caps. I heard getting to 3.4 is maxing it out.
Anyone care to comment?

1.65 Is considerd safe, and 1.70 is 'safe' ish but its thought that 1.7 is pushing it as far as intel cpus go.

You said you set it to 1.67, is that the setting in the bios, or acutal reading?

1.7v caused gradual and major degradation on one of my two P4 3.4's.
I'm not sure about 1.675v. However, I think you can get slight degradation on all the chips, even if you don't increase vcore at all (someone recently mentioned that he had 3 chips, some with vcore higher, some almost stock; all lost a couple of FSB over several months/year).

I've actually seen people running at -stock- voltages suffer slight degradation over time. ( a few FSB from max ).

My 2nd P4 was reasonably stable at 1.65v @ 3860 mhz and now isn't as stable there as it used to be. I know this isn't a "serious" degradation like on the first P4, because the first 3.4C (which I had at 1.7v @ 3910 mhz), would suddenly start rebooting or bluescreening randomly, _only_ when at idle, even with a cool case, (or at load when it became very warm in the case), which only stopped by going even higher on the vcore or lower on the speed.
Also, the 2nd P4 still boots windows (unless its very warm in the room) at 3910 mhz @ 1.65v, which the first chip can't even do unless its 1.725v.
(and the first chip can't even load windows now at 3.7 ghz @ stock).

The 2nd chip still does 3.7 ghz @ stock (won't dual prime without vcore increase though) unless it gets very very warm in my room, which still ONLY causes a crash if i have 2 games running at once, and 3.83 @ 1.65 with only 1 game running. (two UT2003/2004s at the same time usually require 1.675v, or backing down to 3.81 ghz @ 1.65, and even that will crash if it gets very warm in the room).

It runs better below 1.7 and lives longer. but all depends from a chip

Back