• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Power 'Bus?'

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tabrin

I just got a nice little cube server off ebay and started making a list of every mod I had seen or dreamed up that I would like to see in my computer. One of them was a power 'bus' that basically is a PCB with a molex connector on one end that's got a dozen or so fan connectors (for easy solder-less addition, removal, moving around, etc.) hooked up to +12 or +5v.

Another thing I also wanted to do was make one of these for my HDD's and optical drives, but I'm going to use a double set of terminal strips for that. At least I think that terminal strips are two rows of 'terminals' for power supply, instead of just 8 ways to splice wires.

So I have two questions, first one:
Edit: Here I was asking what a breadboard was called. Figured it out.
/Edit
I want to do a real PCB but I don't know how to begin with that.

Second question:
Can you use one PSU molex to run four hard drives, a DVDRW, two CCFL inverters, a 12V pump for watercooling, and perhaps six fans w/fanbus off of one molex hooked up to terminal strips? Aren't they all conected to the same source inside the PSU, so does it really matter?
Would hooking up two Molexes to the single terminal strip be 'safer' or something?

I've got a 550W Thermaltake PSU by the way.

Last edited:
Even if all of the wires go to the same place, I'd be concerned about that much load for the given wire guage. Why not use multiple in/out connections? You'll have some small degree of feedback isolation that way as well. Just arrange your terminal strip into sections; one output wire set (molex) to your fan bus, one to your waterpump (you may want to look at advantage/disadvantages of 12V over 120V pumps also) one to your HDDs and one to your optical drive(s).

Back