• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

E or C????????????????

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

syberspy9

hey guys im need a 800fsb cpu (my 2.4b is a great oc'er still on stcok cooling but i cant run my ddr400!!)

so i have 340$ canadain im going here www.ncix.com

now im looking into the 2.8 E or C there like the same price but the the E runs a bit hotter BUT a that 1MB cach looks nice

ill oc it but not hardcore im going to get the sp97 to cool it
i hear some ppl say just get a 3.0GHZ C but why its only 200MHZ more, i can oc to that with stock cooling any day

I would just go with the Northwood. You wouldnt notice the extra 512kb of cache that the Prescott has plus the Northwood would run roughly 5 - 10 degrees colder. My Northwood runs 7 degrees colder then my Prescott for example.

C-ya

either wait for new prescott steppings or pick up a northie. 2.8/3.0/3.2 its all luck of the draw...pick one up that fits your budget and let the overclocking begin.

well look at some tests and there like the exact same but with the 2.8E having the better teck and it only down fall is a bit more heat then why not go for the 2.8E i mean there even the same price

so i think ill buy the 2.8E

Get the 3.0C for $295 @ www.chiplogic.ca

3.0C's tend to come with better steppings than 2.8's. Most people hit 3.6 on air with the 3.0C's, and some even up to 3.8.

The E's aren't a good idea for air cooled systems because they run too hot and with the longer pipeline, even that 1MB of cache doesn't improve performance over its 512KB Northwood prdecessors.

In most things the e will be slower than the c. I have both but my e chip runs much hotter I would say at the same clocks about 10°C. Only thing with mine is that my 2.8e will run stable at 3600 and my fastest of 2 2.8c will do 3350

ok so get the 3.0GHZ C form @ www.chiplogic.ca for 305$ (pay shipping)
and get the sp94 and vanteck 92mm stealth from ncix (pay shipping)

that means i cant buy evry thing in one place so i have to spend $$ on shipping

cuz ncix has 3.0GHZ C for 340$ (cant pay that ill be broke)

but www.chiplogic.ca doesnt have the sp94 or the vanteck stealth

mabey ill try tigerdirect or w/e

i ended up going with the 2.8C and well its oced to 3.2 but im not impressed! i swear my 2.4B @2.6 was better than this the C seem to have problims loading any thing fast and it has a lag to it even at stock speed and its prime 95 stable

heh.

I have sl6wk stepping for 2.4c and 3.2c

the 2.4c right now is around 3.5ghz stable

3.2c is 4ghz stable on air

If you SETI or FOLD get an E (for the 1MB L2), for anything other get a C. The E has longer pipelines so the C will slightly outperform it most of the times, except for when the E is way OCed. The E chips will also put a LOT more stress on your mainboard and PSU already at stock speeds and Voltages. I specifically got a 460W Enermax PSU with a 33Amp 12V rail, and a IC7-MAX3 mainboard for the OTES power management cooling system. My chip wants to do 3.6Ghz 5:4 but first I am seriously considering going watercooling for that...

Back