• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ol' Papsomax makes a farm, eei eei ooohhh!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Papsomax

Well it's done. It took about a week of part time work, and some major frustration with another Linux dhcp server unbeknownst to me fraging my packets. But, now it's up and running and folding and it still has a few slots for some more clients maybe an A64 3000?, another P4E? :clap:

Farm pic 1
finalfarm.JPG

Farms pic 1
finalpic.JPG

Close-up server Athlon 2400
srvfinal.JPG

Athlon 2200-1 client
2400(1).JPG

Athlon 2400-2 client
2400.JPG

P4E 2.8 client-1
p4e(1).JPG

P4E 2.8 client-2
p4e(2).JPG

Duron 1.6 client - awaiting a PSU
duron1.6.JPG

My server window
srvrwin1.JPG

Server fah directory
srvclipg.JPG

Total folding MHz in that room = 29806.333 Hooah

Sweet setup! I thought of doing a lexan setup but went with the tried and true wood and metal. I like that look a lot!

very nice. No wonder your production is so insane. To bad I can't find a friend with that much GHz and be able to borg em all ;)

wow! That is a beautiful farm... How do you deal with the heat?

I'm glad you made it working. Pasomax

Congratulations.. ;)

Hooah !! btw, what does that mean :eek:

Last edited:
Hooah !! btw, what does that mean

Phonetic spelling of the military acronym HUA, which stands for "Heard Understood Acknowledged." Originally used by the British in the late 1800's in Afghanistan. More reciently adopted by the United States Army to indicate an affirmative or a pleased response.

Thanks for all your help too.... I was too blinded to notice the collision activity in the net....doh!

I have a new 18000btu window ac that i have on 2 hours off 2 hrs mid May thru Mid Sept.........

very nice. No wonder your production is so insane. To bad I can't find a friend with that much GHz and be able to borg em all

Well my current production numbers DOES NOT include the new plexi-farm. Only the boxen farm and my borgs. My plexi unit should start donating within a day or so I have some big 200 plus pointers on it.

paps

Last edited:
Gorgeous!

If you want to have the folding monitor karamba theme for your LTSP server (like EM3), here's what you do-

On the server-

su
[enter root's password to beocme root]
apt-get install karamba
[press control + D to become knoppix again]

Now download this into your home directory-

http://overclockix.octeams.com/folding-karamba-0.5.tgz

You'll want to extract it using ark (just right-click and open with ark), go to actions and extract all files into your home directory.

To launch it,

karamba /home/knoppix/folding-karamba-0.5/folding-karamba.theme
(I think that's the right path and filename.....)

foldtheme.jpg

Now you get the theme monitoring one folding client at /home/knoppix/fold (this directory does not exist in the LTSP release). Right-click on it and you can edit the configuration file to correct the path, and add all your other clients as well. Some examples for multiple clients are already at the bottom of the config file and are commented out with a "#". And some instructions are written into the config file itself on what to edit, as it will need some minor adjustment in certain other places. Tinker on it a bit until you've got it monitoring all your clients and you'll be set. You can save the config file and then right-click to reload the theme to test changes as you make them. Clicking on the protein pic will bring up your stats page at Stanford in mozilla. :)

You can then create either a desktop icon or an icon in the kicker (quick launch bar) for this theme using the command above as the "execute" line.

This theme is pretty easy-going on CPU cycles. You can find more themes for karamba on www.kde-look.org

I'll include this eventually in the LTSP release and modify it so that it requires less tinkering, but it'll have to wait until I can get a net connection again.

Last edited:
Great job Paps... What are you using for PSU's? My farm completely horked, all seven layers, because of a recent "upgrade" to "better" power. The PSU's couldn't handle the pow-ah of the farm and fried all seven layers. :sad: So what did you use?

Good to see farmers popping up here and there. Oh, and BTW, when it's full tilt summer and my farm was running I was paying about $120 a month for electricity. I live in a two bedroom, two story townhouse with central air... just FYI to those who asked about $$$$.

Wedo

Well I still have some lan problems......looks like one of my win boxes is trying to have it's ip address assigned by the server vs the router.......i may just have to add another nic to the server and have 2 sstatic ip's
paps

btw thanks for the compliments

That looks awesome.

I have a usb floppy and set my bios to boot from usb-fdd and it didnt. I was trying to flash my bios. I see you have one sitting in there. Any tips? I might need it to boot some pcs that dont have lan onboard in my farm.

Wedo. I bought a viomax 500w that i read a review on that did well. 19 bucks shipped. Seems to work well for me.

What are you using for PSU's? My farm completely horked, all seven layers, because of a recent "upgrade" to "better" power. The PSU's couldn't handle the pow-ah of the farm and fried all seven layers. :sad: So what did you use?

PSU for the server = APower 400W $25
2200 Althon = L & C 350W $26
2400 Athlon = Sparkle 300W $5
1st P4E = Leadman 350W $26
2nf P4E = Austin 300W $15

I tried splitters and didnt (A) have enough power and (B) didnt like the fact the one client's power controls both clients

All of the 3.3v and 5v rails all exceed 210amps and the 12v rail > or = 15amps
paps

Papsomax,
If the window gets IP from server. It would work fine as well. Just make sure the 2 dhcp servers in your network do not have overlap ip address range. I have my labtop here sometimes get its ip address from the server. When the server is out it would auto update from the router. It is fine either way. You could also turn off dhcp server on the router and rely solely on the server is also okay. I've tested it that way.

Wedo,
Can you tell me your farm spec I'm more interested in PSU and cpus. I have spit PSU as well, been running for 2 weeks and no sign of burn out or under power yet.
My cpus are Barton M at 2200MHz
my 360W psu is here , note that it has 35A available on 5V line which dual cpu would need. http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=17-163-101&depa=0

Last edited:
My farm is put to shame by all these good-looking organized farms I keep seeing :p. My farm consists of a table and lots of folding comps squeezed in where they can be.
Anyways, nice looking farm! That's a great load of powah coming online :beer:

I ran a 1800 pally and 1700 pally on a 300 Watt Forton with 120mm fan with no issues for months. I did have a generic PSU last 8 hours so I went to a nice strong one.

awsome awesome job, looks very nice, and think of all the power you are getting outa that. Great job and maybe someday ill have a farm to match yours =P

Wedo said:
Oh, and BTW, when it's full tilt summer and my farm was running I was paying about $120 a month for electricity. I live in a two bedroom, two story townhouse with central air... just FYI to those who asked about $$$$.

Wedo

Must be nice. My power bill exceeds $250 on a regular basis during the summer.

If the window gets IP from server. It would work fine as well.

Well unfortunately, it did not....when I woke up this am one of my Win XP boxes had a message...ip conflict....when I did ipconfig/release/renew..it was assigned an ip from the server....but it would not access the net.....

Also farm is temp down as my monitor of my game box died so I had to borrow the farm monitor....wife is on the rampage and won't let me buy a replacement yet...........

Basically all my home boxes are down today for cleaning, etc.......

When I split 2 of the Athlons with one psu, as long as I didn't oc it was fine...so I just said heck with it and each has their own psu..........
paps

Last edited:
Back