• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New vid card help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Chris C

Registered
I am in need of a new vid card. I have a 1800xp with 512 pc2100 and a geforce 3 now. I am looking at a powercolor 9600 pro from newegg

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-131-219&depa=1

Its 123.99 with free shipping. I dont really want to spend anymore than that. What do you think of powercolor and this card and price? How big of a jump will it be over the GF3 game wise? I dont really need the latest and greatest since I will be replacing the whole comp in a year or so. Will it be able to handle newer games allright? Thanks for any help you can give.

Thanks. 2 more question if you can help. I went into my desktop and its says my GF3 is running at 4x. This new card can do 1-8x. How can I check to see if my AGP can handle 8x? Whats the differance? Also if anyone has a link to a page to show me how to install the new card that would really help. I can remove the old card and put in the new one just fine but Im talking about what to do as far as new drivers and removing old one and also making the switch to DX9. More of the software side of putting in the new card. Thanks again

Chris C said:
Thanks. 2 more question if you can help. I went into my desktop and its says my GF3 is running at 4x. This new card can do 1-8x. How can I check to see if my AGP can handle 8x? Whats the differance? Also if anyone has a link to a page to show me how to install the new card that would really help. I can remove the old card and put in the new one just fine but Im talking about what to do as far as new drivers and removing old one and also making the switch to DX9. More of the software side of putting in the new card. Thanks again
Ok,you can check your motherboard manual or goto the company website to check the agp capabilities.

To change video cards you uninstall the current display drivers then when it tells you to reboot,shut off the pc.

Take out the card and put in the new one.

Turn on the pc and put the installation disc in.When it boots up,Just follow the directions of the hardware wizard from there.

Make sure there are no other programs running while your'e doing it.Especially antivirus programs.

When the installation is done you will be prompted to restart.

Restart and boom! Your new video card is installed.

Dont sound too hard thanks. I think I will go ahead and order the card tonight.

Back