• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD K6-III overclocking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

The Coolest

I have a K6-III wich with a stock HSF I managed to o/c from 400 @ 2.4Vcore to 428 @ 2.5Vcore. I could get 450 out of it just if I set Vcore to 2.7, Win98 started but if I ran a game\Prime95 windows put up BSOD (Blue Screen Of Death) this mobo doesn't have CPU temp sensor. So could it be that the CPU is overheating or not stable due to low Vcore?

Overclocking any K6-2/3 has always been a hard task. You definately will not beable to handle the heat that they put out with a default hsf. If you mobo can support it, buy a standard SocketA hsf with a good fan. These hsfs are designed for Athlons which put out much more heat. A comfortable overclock of about 50-75Mhz might be possible then with AS2.

I have a K6-2 450 which has a CoolerMaster DP Brand SocketA hsf with 23cfm Taisol fan on it. I can get the 450Mhz to 500Mhz stable but anything higher than that needs REALLY high voltage (2.9v) and a Delta 38cfm. That in my opinion is overkill for such a slow cpu.

Good luck in your overclock.

Back