• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Onboard sound and PCI sound card

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cho

Anyone can actually hear the difference in sound quality between the onboard sound and PCI sound card? Is it an obvious difference?
Just want to know whether it is worthy to spend 100 more bucks to buy a good sound card...

Sure, if it's a GOOD PCI sound card. An Audigy 1 would blow most onboard sound out of the water, except maybe Soundstorm. If you were going to grab a SB Live!, I wouldn't even bother.

It also matters what your gonna be listening to, and what type of speakers you have. If your only gonna be listening to mp3's and no CD's or not playing any games, your better off with onboard. If you have really crappy speakers (i.e. say under 30-40 dollars) stick with onboard. If you have decent speakers (if you don't I highly recomend buying some...decent logitechs are around 100 for 4.1 maybe even 5.1's now), and you play games or listen to CD's get the sound card. I wouldn't buy an audigy 2 unless your running to very awesome speakers/home theater setup. The audigy 1 can be had for around 50 bucks and is a great performer.

If all you want to do is to improve your sound quality while listening to music you should look at the $24 Chaintech AV-710. If you configure it like this then you'll have a soundcard that rivals $100 ones in sound quality (and WILL blow any of Creative's cards out of the water in SQ). Of course you will need good speakers or headphones to appreciate the difference in SQ. If you're more into gaming then you should consider an Audigy. If you're both a gamer and a music lover then get BOTH and switch between them.

Cho said:
Anyone can actually hear the difference in sound quality between the onboard sound and PCI sound card? Is it an obvious difference?
Just want to know whether it is worthy to spend 100 more bucks to buy a good sound card...

It depends on the onboard sound you have. Some onboard sound is quite good. Other's stink as far as sound quality goes.

Changing speakers will almost always yield a much larger difference in the sound though.

What speakers/headphones are you using now?

I have an Abit AI7. Is it good in sound quality?
For speakers, I'm using Creative Inspire 6.1 6600.

Cho said:
I have an Abit AI7. Is it good in sound quality?
For speakers, I'm using Creative Inspire 6.1 6600.

Are you using the SPDIF out (do your speakers even have digital input)? If so, you cant really improve on that IMO.

I would upgrade your speakers before getting a new sound card, but that's just me.

Back