• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Has onboard sound gotten any better?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Krowa 02

Im using an audigy 2 ZS, and I cant overclock cause of it, it dosent like 5:4 ratio with an fsb of 250. I fixed it once but I couldnt fix it a 2nd time. Aside from that im fed up with my mobo (abit ic7) and I am in the market for a new mobo. A friend of mine has a decent onboard sound on his new p4 board but I dont have a clue what it is. Im looking at the msi 875 mobo, but I dont know how well the audio performs.

Anyone know about this stuff?

Hmmm, but i´ve experienced worse in the past. The old onboard soundcards were like aztec16bit-s***.
I had a SB awe32 pnp and a Terratec Maestro 64 Soundsystem EWS XXL in my old rig. In my opinion the onboard sound of the Asus P4C800-E Deluxe is good enough for gaming, musik and video (6 channel) and even better than my old ones.
The Midi capability (of course) is worth nothing....

Grrr, well the audio on the MSI board is 8 channel if that helps?

Otherwise I gotta use this terrible audigy 2 driver that wont let me overclock (I dont overclock anymore anyway, but im worried it will make other stuff in my system not run properly)

Still going to get that msi board anyway I hate the ic7

X86Dude said:
In a word. No.
Onboard audio still sucks.
Manufacturers still only see one thing.... dollar signs.

That's a blanket statement.

It really depends. The onboard sound on my Soyo Dragon was pretty good, while the onboard sound on my ECSK7S5A is terrible.

if u have Nvidia SoundStorm like me it doesnt suck :D lol but i dont have aclue with P4 boards maybe Nvidia should bring out PCI Soundcards

isnt there a different driver that will let u overclock ??

As a suggestion, Asus has a new P4P800-E Deluxe which has 8-channel audio (Realtek ALC850 codec). Dunno about the quality of it.

My old P4P800 Deluxe's onboard Soundmax is decent too.

Krowa 02: I suspect your Audigy 2 ZS prob still has better sound quality anyway.

Azzkiller said:
That's a blanket statement.
Ummm yea. :-/

Had the author of this thread asked for information about a specific product I would have been more then happy to offer a detailed reply...... as it stands now this so called "blanket statement" is a pretty good reply for a blanket question.

Azzkiller said:
It really depends.
Who is the one offering blanket statements now?
Depends on what? ;)

Azzkiller said:
The onboard sound on my Soyo Dragon was pretty good, while the onboard sound on my ECSK7S5A is terrible
Compaired to what?
When compaired to an Audigy2 ZS how do either of those integrated audio solutions you mentioned stack up?
Get it now?
Or do I have to make another blanket statement that explains it in terms you understand? :D

X86Dude said:
Ummm yea. :-/

Had the author of this thread asked for information about a specific product I would have been more then happy to offer a detailed reply...... as it stands now this so called "blanket statement" is a pretty good reply for a blanket question.

Who is the one offering blanket statements now?
Depends on what? ;)

Compaired to what?
When compaired to an Audigy2 ZS how do either of those integrated audio solutions you mentioned stack up?
Get it now?
Or do I have to make another blanket statement that explains it in terms you understand? :D

He is looking at the "msi 875" motherboard. How is that a blanket question? http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-130-452&depa=0

Like I said, not all onboard sound is bad. I am not making a blanket statement if i say it depends on the motherboard, because it does. What you are saying is akin to saying that all white people are thieves. Are all white's thieves? Certainly not. Are SOME whites theives? Absolutely. Would I be making a blanket statement if someone asked me if all white people were thieves and I responded "it DEPENDS on the person"?

Wouldnt you agree that the Realtek featured on the MSI board is better than say a generic ac97 onboard device? I don't think that the Realtek is BAD. All onboard audio is not bad, so making a statement saying that all onboard sound is bad is wrong, unless of course that is your opinion, which you did not state it as one...

Compared to the Audigy2 ZS, the inclusion of both coaxial digital and optical audio outputs put the Soyo Dragon's "sound quality" in the same league, or better in the case that it can be interfaced with a consumer level reciever digitally in my opinion. I PERSONALLY see more value in the onboard Dragon sound over the Audigy.

The original poster's question was, "has onboard sound gotten any better". And the answer is IT DEPENDS. It depends on what motherboard you have.

Get it now?

Last edited:
Krowa 02:

The onboard sound on the MSI board you listed would probably work great. Do you plan on using its analog or digital audio outputs? Are you going to be using speakers or headphones, or both?

Azzkiller said:
He is looking at the "msi 875" motherboard. How is that a blanket question?
He (?) said---->
Im looking at the msi 875 mobo
The title of the thread is----> "Has onboard sound gotten any better?"
Blanket enough for you? ;)
I removed the link for clarity and because I also understood what he motherboard he was talking about.
Azzkiller said:
Like I said, not all onboard sound is bad. I am not making a blanket statement if i say it depends on the motherboard, because it does.

If I say?
Excuse me?
If I say all onboard audio sucks, because it does, does that make it so?
Absofreakinglutly not.
You are offering little more then a subjective opinion and as such you are not even close to creating a foundation from which you can make that type of a statement.
Please show me your opinions are correct and leave the argumentative crap out of your replies. There is no need to turn every reply you post into a flame war because of the way your type them.

Azzkiller said:
What you are saying is akin to saying that all white people are thieves. Are all white's thieves? Certainly not. Are SOME whites theives? Absolutely. Would I be making a blanket statement if someone asked me if all white people were thieves and I responded "it DEPENDS on the person"?
Umm ...... how is this analogy relevant here?
It does nothing but serve as a way for you to try to make a point ... that point is understood. I do not have reading comprehension problems so lets keep the self serving, rhetorical, analogies out of this discussion. OK?

Azzkiller said:
Wouldnt you agree that the Realtek featured on the MSI board is better than say a generic ac97 onboard device?
Six of one a half a dozen of another.
The Realtek solution is nothing more then an AC97 interface.
To answer your question. No.

Azzkiller said:
I don't think that the Realtek is BAD.
I do for a number of reasons.
The first is personal experience with the buggy drivers. And the second is the poor sound quality (compared to an Audigy2).

Azzkiller said:
All onboard audio is not bad, so making a statement saying that all onboard sound is bad is wrong, unless of course that is your opinion, which you did not state it as one...

Feel free to take anything I do not offer proof of as an opinion.

Azzkiller said:
Compared to the Audigy2 ZS, the inclusion of both coaxial digital and optical audio outputs put the Soyo Dragon's "sound quality" in the same league, or better in the case that it can be interfaced with a consumer level reciever digitally in my opinion. I PERSONALLY see more value in the onboard Dragon sound over the Audigy.
Other then the fact that the Audigy does indeed feature a coaxial SPDIF port on the back plate I have no problem with you offering your opinion as to how or why the onboard audio included in the Dragon was better then the Audigy.
Let me just say that I personally see more value in a product that does not depend on the host system to process audio data.

Azzkiller said:
The original poster's question was, "has onboard sound gotten any better." And the answer is IT DEPENDS. It depends on what motherboard you have.
Nope.
It still sucks when compared to a sound card that features hardware acceleration of 3D audio.
Isn't the whole point here improving performance?
The Audigy2 doesn't like the higher FSB speeds this person gets when he overclocks his system Vs an integrated solution that relies on the hosts system for processing data?
Catch 22 if I ever saw one..... do I reduce the FSB or switch to a CPU dependent solution that has the same negative effect on performance?

Azzkiller said:
Get it now?
I always had it..... :D
Do you got it now?
lol

X86Dude said:
He (?) said---->
The title of the thread is----> "Has onboard sound gotten any better?"
Blanket enough for you? ;)
I removed the link for clarity and because I also understood what he motherboard he was talking about.

I wouldnt consider the thread title the question unless his post was completely blank, especially when he asked about that motherboard. At any rate, please explain this response:

Had the author of this thread asked for information about a specific product I would have been more then happy to offer a detailed reply"

Really? So you dont consider the MSI board a SPECIFIC product? Did you even bother to read his post, or just the title?

If I say?
Excuse me?
If I say all onboard audio sucks, because it does, does that make it so?
Absofreakinglutly not.
You are offering little more then a subjective opinion and as such you are not even close to creating a foundation from which you can make that type of a statement.
Please show me your opinions are correct and leave the argumentative crap out of your replies. There is no need to turn every reply you post into a flame war because of the way your type them.

My "opinion" as you call it is correct because there is no possible way you have analyzed every onboard sound card that has been produced. If you have, then I admit I'm wrong. Therefore you have no way to judge EVERY soundcard with a blanket statement by saying onboard sound is crap. Saying it depends isnt a blanket statement. I havent heard every onboard soundcard, I cant account for all the variables. It is VAGUE, yes, but it certainly isnt a blanket statement. Unless you can say for sure that there is no possible way that any factor associated with any onboard sound is better than aftermarket then it is a FACT that onboard sound is better in some way. Therefore it does depend, and all onboard sound does not suck, as it beats something on aftermarket. Since he didnt specify, we will never know.

Umm ...... how is this analogy relevant here?
It does nothing but serve as a way for you to try to make a point ... that point is understood. I do not have reading comprehension problems so lets keep the self serving, rhetorical, analogies out of this discussion. OK?
I used it because it illustrates my point. You wouldnt call me out if I said that in response to someone's post saying my response was a blanket statement, now would you? If you want to get philisophical, then perhaps you could say "it depends" is an opinion when talking about something GENERAL. I'll admit I can't "prove" it for sure. I can't believe anyone would literally take it as such though.

Six of one a half a dozen of another.
The Realtek solution is nothing more then an AC97 interface.
To answer your question. No.
Perhaps I should have been more clear on what I called a generic ac97 device, huh? ;)

I do for a number of reasons.
The first is personal experience with the buggy drivers. And the second is the poor sound quality (compared to an Audigy2).
Good reasons. What do you think about it's digital output section? Does it sound bad too?
Feel free to take anything I do not offer proof of as an opinion.
How is one supposed to know if something is indeed a fact or opinion unless you qualify it as such? Simply not showing any proof along with a statement doesnt mean it isnt a fact.

Other then the fact that the Audigy does indeed feature a coaxial SPDIF port on the back plate I have no problem with you offering your opinion as to how or why the onboard audio included in the Dragon was better then the Audigy.
Let me just say that I personally see more value in a product that does not depend on the host system to process audio data.
1. An adaptor isnt required to use the SPDIF port on the Dragon
2. Dragon sound was esentially free since it came with the motherboard (I would have bought it with or without the audio onboard and paid the same price)
3. Optical audio output for more flexibility
4. Does not feature the sampling problems associated with running the Audigy with a 44.1khz output
5. Digital audio inputs (im not sure if the audigy has this though)
6. Software isnt bloated
7. Dont really care about cpu cycles used (its low enough for me). Even a framerate hit of 10 percent in a game would be barely perceptable to me.

Nope.
It still sucks when compared to a sound card that features hardware acceleration of 3D audio.
Isn't the whole point here improving performance?
The Audigy2 doesn't like the higher FSB speeds this person gets when he overclocks his system Vs an integrated solution that relies on the hosts system for processing data?
Catch 22 if I ever saw one..... do I reduce the FSB or switch to a CPU dependent solution that has the same negative effect on performance?
So all onboard sound does not feature 3d acceleration? Audio obviously isnt all about performance. How is it a catch22? You already said all onboard sound sucks. Therefore, the audigy is obviously the winner unless it sucks as well. Remember a blanket statement is all encompassing. There is no way onboard sound can win as per your statement.

I always had it..... :D
Do you got it now?
lol

Apparantly I dont?

X86Dude said:
Bla bla bla.... we are getting nowhere fast here.

You know the best part about banging your head against the wall?
When you stop it feels good. ;)
As much as I hate to compliment the starter of the rants (...since they should never have started...), what X86Dude says is 100% right. :) Arguing over the semantics of the phrase "blanket statement" and other issues should be done either through PMs, or in it's own thread. Only comments/suggestions pertaining specifically to the questions posted by Krowa (like the 2nd half of both of your rants) should be in here.

As for my own little blanket statement (;)), onboard sound does still suck. If what X86 and Azzkiller posted is true about the MSI board using and AC97 Realtek solution, I'd definatly it's bad. I don't know anything about Realtek specifically, but AC97 (in general) sucks.

JigPu

JigPu said:
As much as I hate to compliment the starter of the rants (...since they should never have started...), what X86Dude says is 100% right. :) Arguing over the semantics of the phrase "blanket statement" and other issues should be done either through PMs, or in it's own thread. Only comments/suggestions pertaining specifically to the questions posted by Krowa (like the 2nd half of both of your rants) should be in here.

I agree in principle JigPu, but who is going to make a thread called "I love ac97" And then list the reasons and hope people start a meaningfull conversation? I hoped the people who felt THD was a good spec for measuring reciever performance would discuss it with me in my thread, but that didnt happen.

As for my own little blanket statement (;)), onboard sound does still suck. If what X86 and Azzkiller posted is true about the MSI board using and AC97 Realtek solution, I'd definatly it's bad. I don't know anything about Realtek specifically, but AC97 (in general) sucks.

JigPu

I guess thats your opinion.

ooo deja vu...

All on-board sound thus far is rubbish bar the soundstorm. The realteks on your dragon ARE ac97 parts, so how you can call them better (to any real degree) than any other ac97 equiped board is a mystery. My nf7-s (soundstorm) uses those realtek650's for the analogue conversion stage and quite honestly it is appauling, certainly almost as bad as my k7s5a. Thank god for digital outputs eh?

telling him he can uses the digital ouput is fine and dandy and i agree - quality would be much improved. But you must also tell him that he will only get 2 channel stereo from that digital port unless he's watching a movie. He if wants multi channel gaming then he will HAVE to use those analogue ports. Now with the added cpu utilization, limited EAX support and general all-round poorer quality, it doesn't look quite as atractive anymore:(

No I'm going out on a limb here, but he currently has an audigy2 ZS. Something tells me he choose that card for gaming....

Azzkiller said:
I used it because it illustrates my point......I'll admit I can't "prove" it for sure. I can't believe anyone would literally take it as such though.

Oh that sounds familiar. Remember our little argument azzkiller? difference is, i CAN prove it. That's a double standard right there azzkiller. The words pot, kettle and black come to mind.

Last edited:
I just installed a DFI Ultra Infinity rev A+ & it has SoundStorm. Its fantastic. No way am I puttin an add on card in & have to deal w/ THOSE driver issues. Thanks DFI

Not all onboard sound sucks on Intel systems!

Howabout an M-Audio Revolution 7.1 card built in? Likely they best SQ in the current business, even to include the Audigy series. Take a look at my motherboard; Albatron PX865PE Pro II. Comes with:

Envy24HT 7.1 Audio (exact same stuff in the M-Audio Revolution)
CSA Gig Ethernet (no PCI bandwidth used :) )
Dual BIOS (no unrecoverable bios flashes, ever!)
PATA RAID and SATA RAID (not everyone bought SATA drives)
Voice Genie (beep codes are for 486 motherboards ;) )
8 x USB 2.0, 2 x Firewire ( >400mbit pwnz j00! :D )
PAT-alike for 865 chipset
Active all-copper northbridge cooler
Certified and warrantied PrescHott support

All for like $130 or less brand new. I've owned several of these boards now; all were great. Had one running 284FSB with a 2.4C (sold it), got another one now running 248FSB on my current setup. Great boards, great price, great sound, great features, etc etc.

james.miller said:
ooo deja vu...

All on-board sound thus far is rubbish bar the soundstorm. The realteks on your dragon ARE ac97 parts, so how you can call them better (to any real degree) than any other ac97 equiped board is a mystery. My nf7-s (soundstorm) uses those realtek650's for the analogue conversion stage and quite honestly it is appauling, certainly almost as bad as my k7s5a. Thank god for digital outputs eh?

telling him he can uses the digital ouput is fine and dandy and i agree - quality would be much improved. But you must also tell him that he will only get 2 channel stereo from that digital port unless he's watching a movie. He if wants multi channel gaming then he will HAVE to use those analogue ports. Now with the added cpu utilization, limited EAX support and general all-round poorer quality, it doesn't look quite as atractive anymore:(

No I'm going out on a limb here, but he currently has an audigy2 ZS. Something tells me he choose that card for gaming....

Seeing how I don't care about surround sound gaming performance, the ac97 part didnt bother me. Seeing how everyone is different, maybe you could concide that while ac97 to me is fine, to you its terrible? Is that ok with you? None of your arguement made ac97 any less apealing to me. how do you even know Krowa 02 plans on utilizing eax or positional sound? Creative is probably the most popular consumer aftermarket sound card manufacturer.

Oh that sounds familiar. Remember our little argument azzkiller? difference is, i CAN prove it. That's a double standard right there azzkiller. The words pot, kettle and black come to mind.

What are you arguing now? Are you still refering to the sony earbuds with the +/-3dB 6hz-23khz response? If so, please do show me the proof, and i'll admit I was wrong.

And how can you PROVE something like "it depends" is an opinion, when the question is vague? Who do you agree with james.miller? Is "it depends" a blanket statement or what?

Back