• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

100GB disks :drool:

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Just imagine...your entire storage HDD...hell, for most of us your entire computer on a piece of plastic the size of your hand...god bless technology.

I wont even attempt to fathom how much a 100 pack of those would cost, however.

StreetPharmacy said:
Just imagine...your entire storage HDD...hell, for most of us your entire computer on a piece of plastic the size of your hand...god bless technology.

I wont even attempt to fathom how much a 100 pack of those would cost, however.

yea but i mean thats just like what cd-rs were when they just came out, prices won't stay up for too long... i hope

As long as the disks don't just randomly scrap themselves like some cheap cdr's do and the data is gone... I'd hate to loose 100GB of my data! Knock on wood, I haven't had a DVD+R go south yet, of course I've only had them since December '03.

And when the bits of data on that disk are so small, imagine how much damage a small scratch would cause. There are clutsy people in this world and disks DO get dropped, missused and abused. Right now I think there should be research put into making the disks more durable.

*drops 100 Gb disk onto tile floor*

Whoops, there went half my DVD collection!

*drops 100 Gb disk onto carpet*

Oh boy...there went most of the New York Library

*drops 100 Gb disk onto sandpaper*

F**K!

Just imagine, one scratch...hell, even if you can't see it, it could probably still affect the data. I get the feeling we'll be transforming our closets into clean rooms when these things become mainstream.

I think a cartridge system for these wouldn't be a bad idea, sure it means a little extra work/money, but would be a lot more durable.

yeah discs can go to hell, we shoudl all move to solid state like CFII once they get uber speeds and storage!

DayUSeX said:
yeah discs can go to hell, we shoudl all move to solid state like CFII once they get uber speeds and storage!

I'm all for that! Show me a 10GB usb 2.0 thumb drive and I'll be happy :D( one that will use the bandwidth of 2.0 that is)

And when the bits of data on that disk are so small, imagine how much damage a small scratch would cause. There are clutsy people in this world and disks DO get dropped, missused and abused. Right now I think there should be research put into making the disks more durable.

This just reminded me of something I tried last week. I have had this disc for oh, about 5 years that was scratched so bad you would have thought that it was junk for sure. Well, I thought what the heck and broke out my dremel with the polishing wheel and some polishing compound. Guess what, the disc works like new again :thup: Just a handy little tip that I thought I would throw in.

Well, I'm sure it's possible to create a 10Gb flash drive, it's just no one has the need for that size of storage yet, and it might be pretty big, like the size of a notebook hard drive.

*shrug*

Or we could all just get 40 Gb iPods, I have all of my crucial data backed up on mine, and I haven't even used up half of the space! My song count, however, is embarrasing.... (137)

back on topic, perhaps the new discs will be coated with some sort of scratch resistant polymer that is strong, but extremely thin, so all of the pores in the disk can still be read correctly.

You'd be surprised how fast a digital slr can fill a 2 gig cf card... good thing I have an adpter so ican offload it to my mp3 player, especially for the longer trips.

Pssshh. 100GB?? 1.6TB by 2010 :D

Anandtech says most manufacturers expect "top BluRay around 2006". Since BluRay brings 25GB disks, that means one can expect to hold 25GB in the palm of their hand in only 2 years.

OR....

InPhase Technologies (a company working on holographic data storage) expects to release a consumer model of their HDS-200R drive in 2006, with an estimated initial storage capacity of 200GB :eek: They expect the disks to be $0.25/GB (...$50 for a 200GB disk), though wether they end up being that cheap remains to be seen.

/me waits for the holographic storage :D
JigPu

JDXNC said:
I'm all for that! Show me a 10GB usb 2.0 thumb drive and I'll be happy :D( one that will use the bandwidth of 2.0 that is)

SanDisk kwill be releasing one at the end of this year.

4GB and 6GB Cards are already in the Shops here in Japan along with the 1GB SD-Cards . The 8GB and 10GB should be available in Japan from November and the 2GB SD Card Early next year.

Back