• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Did I grow a processor overnight?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

StreetPharmacy

Meh, in my boredom today, I was running random programs on our server, and stumbled upon something...odd.

I ran DirectX Diagnostic, and to my surprise, I seem to have a P4 Dually!

Under the System tab in dxdiag, it reads:

Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.20 GHz (2 CPUs)

Well, this is a pre-made computer, because the evil benefactor that is Dad didn't feel like waiting for me to build a new server, as our old one kicked the bucket from a lightening strike when we didn't have a surge protector or a UPS. So, could the nice people at Microcenter have created a P4 dually just for me?

....anyone know what's going on?

Thanks

- Street

Hyperthreading technology by the sounds of it. Not physically two processors, but more like heavy optimizations of the long intel pipeline.

~t0m

yeah it might just b the HT get a true CPU proggie and take a look like CPU-z or the sorts or checks on 3dmark 01SE if it is installed.

Yeah thats hyperthreading, I used a Dell at a place I interned that claimed to have 2 cpu's as well, but it was hyperthreaded. (On a side note, that dell was the slowest fast pc I've ever used in my life, 3.06Ghz seemed like 266Mhz!!)

Dukemurmur said:
yeah it might just b the HT

hmm, lets see....

..it COULD be the HT, or they could have messed up and given him 2x3.2 xeons that cost $699 each at newegg right now, not to mention a $300+ board to go with it and some registered ram for good measure.

hmm...i wonder...

*edit* oh, as an added hint, 2xXeons would show as 4cpu's, as each xeon has HT.

Last edited:
*chuckle* Relax, Its jsut HT. Windows XP reports an HT enabled CPU as a dually. (dreams:::: 4 CPU's *Dual Xeons with HT. . . droooooool*****)

Z

Yeah, I opened it up, only one CPU in there

Rats.

Who knows, they coulda screwed up an order and sent me a $3000 dollar computer for a measly file server...who knows...

Oh well, i can show this to my computer-illiterate friends and have a good laugh.

Back