• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking for suggestions on my first o/c.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

p0intman

Registered
Well I have finally completed my first o/c...thanks to this website and reading through a bunch of threads. Everything is running fine except for one issue which I will get to in a bit. I have a couple of questions though, regarding my settings and I would appreciate any input or ideas that would help with a smoother o/c and eventually solve my only problem.

1. Is my temp too high? I am using stock hs and fan.
2. Should I manually set my DDR Reference Voltage to something other than auto.
3. My DRAM timing are configured by SPD. If you do not choose that option then it allows me to set the following options.

Cas Latency 2.5
Ras Precharge 4
Ras to Cas Delay 4
Precharge Delay 8
Burst Length 8

This is what I believe is the culpret of my only problem. Anytime I play a video game such as AA or Hitman my computer shuts off. I could play for 4 hours or 15 minutes before the shutdown and this was happening before the o/c. I think it may have something to do with the kingston PC-4000 DDR500 I am using and not having the DRAM timings set correctly. I am probably way off on this :confused:
Should I post this issue somewhere else in the forum?

Here are my settings:

Current CPU Temps: 48.5c/120F

CPU Ext Freq 227
DRAM Freq 400
AGP/PCI Freq 66.66/33.33
CPU Vcore Voltage 1.65
DDR Reference Voltage Auto
AGP VDDQ voltage 1.50
Performance Mode Auto

Config Dram Timings By SPD (enable)

Memory Acceleration Mode Auto
DRAM Idle Timer Auto
DRAM Refresh Rate Auto

Graphics Adapter Priority AGP/PCI
Graphics Aperature Size 64MB
Spread Spectrum Enabled
ICH Delay Transaction Enabled
MPS Revision 1.4

Once again if anyone see's anything I should or shouldn't be doing by all means post it. Thanks.

-p0int

First of all... go here and download the latest version of PC Probe (it's the one right at the bottom) http://www.hellasystems.de/ftp/Motherboard/ASUS/Utilities/AsusProbe/ and then let us know what your temps are (need both idle and full-load for both M/Bd & CPU)

IMHO... your cpu is running way too hot, and you need to seriously consider a decent cooler. While you're at it... what sort of airflow have you set up in the case??

Ok gentz, I ran Prime95 ver. 23.8.1 torture test for a few hours using the in-place large FFTs for max heat and power consumption setting and I got the following:

CPU
idle 36/96
full load 55/130

MB
idle 35/95
full load 36/96

As far as air flow goes I have three 2500rpm 80x80x25mm cooler master fans, one in the front of my hard drive cage which brings air in and the other two in the rear blowing air out. My CPU fan is rotating on average at 2576rpm.

1.65 vcore that's a lot for 27 increasment in fsb, do you really need that high vcore?, try setting voltage for memory manually

for that ddr500 you need to up the vdimm to 2.85 which is the highest setting in the bios. this will definetely improve your o/c and stability. its always better to have everything manual that way the bios/ai overclocker will not jack your voltages or timings.

Thanks for the input everyone, much appreciated. I'll make the changes tonight when I get home. I guess I should probably look into a better cooling solution as well. Any suggestions on a really nice fan/hs solution that will not require me to remove the motherboard retention module? I was thinking the Cooler Master Aero 4 at Newegg

i have the coolermaster jet4 and semi happy with it. its pretty quiet but it could cool better. My Tt spark7 was very noisy but cooled very well.there are trade offs

Like most things to do with overclocking... there are many and varied opinions, so you really have to develop a 'one of these would be good' list then see what is available to you. Pricewatch is great for finding out where to buy on-line. Do a search for the one you want or have a look here http://www.pricewatch.com/1/199/5629-1.htm
and see what is where. Though I have never used one, I have thought long and hard about the Zalman, but my Thermalright is iving me great results, so why change. Vivala personal choice!

Back