• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which Video Card for around $100?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kaswyn

Hey guys, I'm going to build a system with the following setup (overclocked):

Abit NF7-S v2.0 MB
AMD 2500+ Mobile
PC3200 Crucial memory
other stuff...

I haven't been keeping up with video cards for over a year now, but I understand the FX5200s support DX 9, while at the same time are slower than Ti4200's, which don't support DX 9.

I'm thinking of getting a card that supports DX9, but has performance, maybe like a Radeon 9500/9600. Two main questions. Anyone know of any good brands out there with decent price (I'm not spending an arm and a leg)? I'm looking to spend roughly about $100. And anyone know of issues with ATI with Abit NF7-S v2.0?

Thanks!

Last edited:
on new egg, look on the refurbished, they got some SUPER deals on 9700pro saphire for like 135!!!!!!!!!!! and the saphire 9800 pro refueb for like 150 !!!!!! any of these 2 cards will make a FX5200 or a r9600 look like a geforce 2!!! I would stongly suggest to get one of these and dont settle for a 9600pro nor a xt. Why u may ask?? cause they cant match the performance of these cards in any app.

9700's go for $110 in the classifieds, or you could get a 9600pro for about that new. The 9700 is a minimum of 25% faster in everything, and with pretties on, near twice as fast.

yuri us totally right, i hate to see peeps buy 9600's when they can soooooo much more card with a 9700 or a 9800.

The 9600pro is a great card. Normaly I have this thing where I have to buy new hardware, but I make exceptions for video cards. If he cant find a 9700, or doesnt want used, the 9600 is still a great card that I wouldnt mind having, so long as it isnt a NP.

ya the 9600 pro isnt that bad of a card, my runs pretty dam good on stock cooling, 520/381.. i give it a recomendation, if he wants to buy a new card..
i will be using it in my new a64 rig until i decide which video card i want 6800gt or the x800pro.

yeah go for a 9700 pro if you can find one. if newegg refurbs are ok, go for that. ive never done it myself, but if its doa or runs real bad u can just send it back to them, so im sure it would be fine.

Back