• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need help w/ forton 530

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Slimmy

Ok I read that the forton 530 was a great psu so i ordered one from newegg.
I installed it and everthing ran just fine. All rail were stable as a rock, so i decided to see if my barton 2500+ was stable at 11x200 at stock voltage.(Locked barton) Came home about 6 hrs. later and my asus probe was saying that the 12v rail was about 13.5v and 5v rail was 5.5 ( i think ) :confused: So i restarted my comp went into bios to confirm and it was at that. Now i can't get it to start up again!!!! Did me new forton 530 skrew me computer? Do i need to try to ajust the pots? Or just rma the damn thing?

Any help would be helpful...

p.s It was still running prime stable for 6hrs at stock voltage at 11x200 before i turned it off! :burn:

*bump*

Does the forton 530 have some kind of reset? I think there was a power flicker when it was on, but i have a battery backup on it. Possible that it messed up the rail w/ the power flicker? Or just a bad psu? Hope it didn't fry me mobo! :eek:

Are those readings from the bios/software or from the power connector with a dvom? software isn't accurate enough to be sure so take measurements at the connector. Also slightly above spec is ok but they can be adjusted on your Fortron:)

-Milkman

Ok i pulled the psu out to test it and it won't turn on :bang head
It get a little juice right when i turn it on the fan spins for about a half a second, then nada.

Should i rma it and get another psu or the same?

I liked it when it worked for its 6hr life. It kept my (locked) barton at 11x200 stable at stock voltage :cool:

Milkman said:
Are those readings from the bios/software or from the power connector with a dvom? software isn't accurate enough to be sure so take measurements at the connector. Also slightly above spec is ok but they can be adjusted on your Fortron:)

First when i installed it, it was running fine. The asusprobe said 12.5v,4.99v,and 3.33. So I wasn't too worried about ajusting pots. So i lowered me overclock to 11x200 and 1.65v, just to see if me new psu would help at stock. Came home after about 6hrs still running prime stable but asusprobe said the 12v antd 5v rails were way off :eek: So i restarted to check bios reading and the same rails too high :mad: So i turned it off and now the psu won't even turn on except for the fan start to spin for the half second then off again. I had me volt meter out but it won't turn on.

So did i just get unlucky and a bad psu?

Yes i unplug it and tried different outlet and surge protecters. Nothing.
If the 12v and 5v rails were running high how do i turn them down so it might turn back on? If it is the overvolt protection preventing it from turning on.

Ok i got it to turn on by turning down the 12 rail but when i get to about 11.75v it turns back off :( Which knob it the overvolt protection?

uh dude your not supposed to have the 12v rail below 12v. Keep it at like 12.3 and your perfectly safe. That psu isn't gonna fry itself. Don't worry.

I use the multimeter to test it and it says 11.5. Turned it up but shuts down at 11.8v. So i am just going to rma it back to newegg.

Pm Hell-Fire -XS- he can tell you which ones limit the voltage and what to do, He may be a little while before he responds but he can help for sure.

-Mike

Thanx for the help guys. But i just rma'd it back to newegg. They are really good w/ the rma service. i just think i got a bad psu, but at least i know how to check the rails now. :clap:

Back