• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Home made antistatic wrist band?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bboy_Jon

well my dad doesnt have one, would walmart?

anyways, since im to poor and have no way to go and buy one, could i make my own? like get a long thing of tin foil and wrap it around my wrist and then clip the other end onto the exposed metal of the case? because im gonna end up forgetting to ground my self when it comes to my $209 video card (9800 pro) and im screwed

so ya how could i make one?

You can make one but RadioShack has them for a few bucks. If you can afford a $209 video card then you can afford the strap.

ya, i just didnt have a way to go to radio shack, anyways, my sister is picking me up this

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog_name=CTLG&product_id=276-2397

and then some 90% alcohol from target

im gonna be putting all the parts together on this pool table (which is covered by this blanket type thing) and i know its full of static, so what can i put on top of the cover so that i can place my components on it (with there anti-static bags) so theres no static?

Cheap grounds are everywhere. Got a concrete floor in your basement/garage? Build it there, barefoot. One of the best grounds available.
It's summer here, and would probably feel nice and cool to build it barefoot on the cement.

You can also just clip a piece of wire to a metal watchband, linked to the case.

If you're worried about static with that blanket thingy, don't use it. The felt on the table is a better surface. You could add a cotton beach/bath towel to protect the table if you wish. Poly based fabrics cause static, cottons do not...wear jeans and a t-shirt.

To equalize charges, make it a habit to touch the case before touching any component. The goal isn't necessarily to ground any stray charges, but to equalized your personal charge with the object you're touching first, before touching the actual circuitry. Then all is safe.
I don't even use my straps anymore, I simply prop one wrist against the case while doing anything inside. But never do this when it's plugged in, you're a path the psu's ground then (when wearing a strap too).

Have fun!

Back