• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bong, the theory behind it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xhades

Registered
How does a water bong exactly work (No I dont mean the kind you smoke the sticky icky sh!t out of):eek: , Any help would be much appreciated.

It takes heat (or energy) to convert water to water vapor. In an evaporative cooler (bong type) water is broken up into smaller particals (with a shower head) to increase the surface area of the water. And air is forced in the oppisite direction of the flow of water (up) to incrase the contact of air and water. Water will be evaporated into the surrounding air. Since evaporation requires energy (heat) to take place, some of the water will be lost to the air along with large amounts heat.

You can actually reduce water temp below ambient temps with this tpye of set up. How ever efficantcy depends on not only ambient temps but also relitive humidity.

Hope this helps.

Does a bong-type cooler work better in hugh humidity or worse?
If better, does it _increase_ humidity at all?

Cerbie, reasearching for his future water cooler in hot, humid GA.

CerberusAOD said:
Does a bong-type cooler work better in hugh humidity or worse?
If better, does it _increase_ humidity at all?

Cerbie, reasearching for his future water cooler in hot, humid GA.
yes it would make the room humidified and its effectgiveness will become lower when used in humidity

One would think high humidity would impair it's performance. In my experience using one, I have not noticed any reduction in cooling capacity.

It depends greatly on the height of your bong. Humidity is relative to the size of the sucker. Size matters :)

Unless your romm is really small and badly ventilated (not healthy!), the air humidity in your room shouldn't reach a point where it actually inhibits the bong's performance. Just watch out for mildew in your room! :)

Tip: Don't use too many fans! You'll lose lots more water but for very little gain in cooling and not all water is lost as evaporation (that does the cooling) but also as minute water droplets.

Back