• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Shall we use thermal paste for Athlon 64 cpu?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

isko

Registered
I see the Athlon 64 cpu is different from the Athlon Xp CPU's. Also installation of cpu is different. New CPU is completly covered with a metal sheet. Now I wonder one thing. Shall we use thermal paste during installation and if so how?

i put mine on pretty much the same as for the P4, im gettin temps around 35- 40C full load so i think it works

Im using ceramique on my desktop 3200. The retail heatsink already comes with thermal compound on it, looks pretty good too. I don't know what kind it is, but it doesn't look like the cheap stuff.

Seems like everyone but fever got a bit off track. Yes, you need thermal paste. The metal thingy is just there to save you from crushing the core.

isko said:
I see the Athlon 64 cpu is different from the Athlon Xp CPU's. Also installation of cpu is different. New CPU is completly covered with a metal sheet. Now I wonder one thing. Shall we use thermal paste during installation and if so how?

The metal sheet is called an IHS or Integrated Heat Spreader. It is placed on top of the CPU's core, to prevent damage, and to do so at a minimal temperature increase.

Termal Paste application on an A64 is the same as on a P4 chip with the IHS, and Arctic Silver has instructions on how to apply the termal paste, http://arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions.htm , step 10 and on is for CPUs with IHSes.

Back