• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

cpu's produce heat neh? - solve my arguement! -

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kamui

Registered
First of all....this isnt a stupid question...per se...

A colleague of mine and I got into an arguement about this. He tells me that under full load a CPU puts out exactly the same amount of heat as it does at idle. I feel i know better, yet he chooses to twist and mix words to make himself sound superior. So instead of wasting my time, energy, and good mood on him, I ask you which of us is right.

My arguements include things like if it didnt put out more heat we wouldnt freak about high heat output and coolling. We wouldnt have terms like critical heat failure. We wouldnt bother cooling out cpus, video cards, and cases.

His eventually got form they dont put out more heat to the other compnentns on the mobo produce the heat that makes the cpu temp go up, to everything with electricity running hrough it produces more heat than the cpu, to eventually crap about super conductors, then lecturing me about measures of electricity converted to calories that produce heat.

All in the proccess slowly changing his original statement without outright saying it.

Your colleague is obviously misinformed, CPUs will put off more heat during CPU intensive operations. You can show him this by running a program that will monitor temps, show him the temperature at idle, then run any stressful program, temps will go up. Processors usually put off more heat then anything else on the motherboard, maybe ram would give off more heat if its given 3.6V or so. Processors do put more heat off because the microscopic transistors inside of them run at such a high speed, nothing else on the motherboard runs this fast.

Well there is ofcource a heat difference between idle and load. But the only thing that defines "idle" is windows' crappy system idle process. Notice that when you leave your computer idling in the bios for a while, the temps are higher than if you were idling in windows.

But he is still wrong. A computer under load produces MUCH more heat than when it is idle. Not only the CPU, but the PSU, the mofsets, chipsets, memory, everything. So there is no arguing that a computer puts out more heat when it is under load.

At night when my computer is idling... you can watch the lights in my room, and the second i hit Enter on Toast.exe, the lights dim.... and within 20 mins, my room temp raises by 2 degrees :)

hitechjb1 said:
When a capacitor C is charged to charge Q within a time T by a current I. Let V be the voltage across the capacitor

Q = C V
I = Q / T
I = C V / T

If the capacitor is charged repetitively by a clock of frequency f of period T, since f = 1/T. So

I = C V f

Hence the current is proportional to the clock frequency f.

So the shorter the period T (faster clock), the bigger the current I. Keeping V constant and all the capacitance inside the chip remain constant (1st order).

When the clock is double, the shape of the pulse (described by the aspect ratio or duty cyle) remains the same, i.e. the high (logic 1) and low (logic 0) intervals remain the same (1st order), generated by the internal clock and pulse generators.

It is correct that when the clock is double (frequency is twice), the pulse width is half, as a consequence, it takes half the time to charge up the same capacitance with the same voltage V, HENCE the current is DOUBLE (and not halved), because I = C V / T. (In this paragraph, V is kept constant. It will be more current if V is also increase.)

Go get some old chip and let him touch it at idle. Then start primeing or something, and then have him touch it again ;)

If what your friend say is true, then I guess we don't need any cpu idler proggies won't we? Some windows have that built in too. Tell you friend he drank too much prune juice because he's full of it.

yeah have him touch the heatsink during idle, then run FAH (for team 32 of coures) for a bit then let him touch the heat sink again.
Simple as that. People are silly huh

I would pat him on the back and smile telling him how intelligent he is..

Kamui said:
First of all....this isnt a stupid question...per se...

A colleague of mine and I got into an arguement about this. He tells me that under full load a CPU puts out exactly the same amount of heat as it does at idle. I feel i know better, yet he chooses to twist and mix words to make himself sound superior. So instead of wasting my time, energy, and good mood on him, I ask you which of us is right.

My arguements include things like if it didnt put out more heat we wouldnt freak about high heat output and coolling. We wouldnt have terms like critical heat failure. We wouldnt bother cooling out cpus, video cards, and cases.

His eventually got form they dont put out more heat to the other compnentns on the mobo produce the heat that makes the cpu temp go up, to everything with electricity running hrough it produces more heat than the cpu, to eventually crap about super conductors, then lecturing me about measures of electricity converted to calories that produce heat.

All in the proccess slowly changing his original statement without outright saying it.

Does the moron also say you get the same mileage idling and at 120mph?

diehrd said:
I would pat him on the back and smile telling him how intelligent he is..

I agree with diehard look him in the eyes and say he was right than laugh at him secretly

Quote:
A colleague of mine and I got into an arguement about this. He tells me that under full load a CPU puts out exactly the same amount of heat as it does at idle. I feel i know better, yet he chooses to twist and mix words to make himself sound superior. So instead of wasting my time, energy, and good mood on him, I ask you which of us is right..

I would tell the boss LMAO...And sugget this guy should be the lead tech for the mens room..

If what your friend says is true ask him to sell cars or cell phones.

Z

It would depend on how the CPU is designed. Take the most simple (token boy if you will) of processors (single-cycle, no pipelining, no decoupling, accumulator architecture, etc.) and this would indeed be true. The processor would be doing just as much work while idle as in full load.
With modern MPU's though, this isn't true at all. The reason is that at idle, "nop" instructions are sent. This is generally implemented by putting 0's in all places. If you have consistent nop's one after the other, there is no switching of transistors (nothing turns to a 1) and hence, less heat is generated (switching a transistors state generates a lot of heat). Some heat will still be generated at idle and in today's MPU's, that amount of idle heat is quite significant.

yeah so a 0 is no current thus you cant have any heat ( if he wants to debate that ask him what the equation for watts is) while a 1 has say 1.5 volts x ? amps =watts flowing through that circuit. and through resistance you will have more heat just from having more 1's in the processor.

Furthermore I believe electron leakage only really occurs while the transistor is switching thus if the switches are flipping you get more heat also.

Back