• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

160JD RAID or single 74GB Raptor?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MIAG

I'm debating on whether to get a WD 160JD RAID 0 array or a 74GB Raptor for general Windows use. I do eat a lot of storage space with CD images, music, and large game installs (UT2k4!!), so the space is a concern. Would the 160JD RAID 0 array be nearly as fast running through the ICH5R on my IS7 as the single 74GB Raptor?

Not really, no. In most cases(General Windows use being the main one) a Raptor will be faster. Since it seems like your budget is ~$200, why not get a 36GB Raptor and a 160GB 7200rpm drive? It's a good compromise.

tom10167 said:
Not really, no. In most cases(General Windows use being the main one) a Raptor will be faster. Since it seems like your budget is ~$200, why not get a 36GB Raptor and a 160GB 7200rpm drive? It's a good compromise.

I already have a 120GB IDE drive, but IDE ribbons are a nuisance to route inside a Sonata. I might just get a 36GB Raptor somewhere down the road, and the extra space as I need it. Do you know if there is a noticable difference in general system usage between a Raptor and a 7200RPM/8MB Cache IDE drive to justify spending the extra $$?

Back