• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need advice on PSU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Macadonious

I have asked this question before and I have gotten great replies. Most of which suggested I buy a Fortron PSU. I have this down on my wish list to buy soon, but a thought came to mind. This Fortron does not have SATA connections. So once again, I was on the look out for a PSU. This is one I have came across, but I am not fimailar with the name. Please, if you would, give me an idea of what you think or suggestions about this PSU.

PSU w/SATA

lol and you do know that there is a psu board dont you? lol (not trying to be rude)

cursor said:
You realize you can get an adaptor from 4-pin to SATA for like $2 from newegg, right?

This is what I'd get rather than that PSU you linked to ;)

As far as the Fortron goes, many people love them but if you have the duckets get a PC Power and Cooling, there's none finer, but Fortron is a good second choice.

Hello guys! Why are we talking about this in cooling? :confused:

For case or PSU related topics, post em in here:
http://www.ocforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=42
:)

Just so im not watering this sucker down with "post in PSUs!!!" spam, I agree with Silversinksam about getting PC Power and Cooling if you have the money, but unless you live in a REALLY hot climate (power supplies with higher temperatures produce less power) or have ALOT of power-sucking gizmos in your computer, I would recomend saving your money and getting something less overkill. A 510 watt PC Power and Cooling is probably the equivilent or better than any other 600+ watt PSU. Just to give you an idea on how much power you actually NEED, I could run 7 case fans, a 7200RPM HDD, CD burner, and the stuff in my sig on a 300watt feather light, no name brand that came with my $19.95 "call now and get a free pearing knife!" case. And, it did that with an ambient temperature of 80°F.

Now, there is the question about reliability, yes, a 300-400 watt POS could power it, but how long could it power it before dying, or exploding and injuring you and everyone that lives within a 15 mile radius? That is why I recomend getting something that is of a bit more quality, but sometimes, we go overkill on our PSU's and buy what is not really needed. As you can see in my sig.....I did that..but it is still a cheapo.

Now on the other hand, if you have ALOT of stuff, like 20 case fans, 14 cold cathods, a Prescott overclocked to 5Ghz and 3.0Vcore, a 4 terrabyte 15k RPM raid array, 5 DVD burners all "backing up" your purchased DVD's at once, and whole lot of other ****, then yes, go for something more powerful.

*slight exageration used*

As for SATA, you can purchase adaptors from many computer stores, local(unless you live in some god-awful place like the jungles in South asjhfsomewhereajsdhlastan) or on the internet for a decent price.

My apologies on placing this in the wrong forum (head down in embarrassment). However, I do thank all of you for you insight and willingness to guide me in looking for the right PSU. If you so wish, you may kill this thread. I will not post here again with this issue. Once again, thank you.

Back