• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Supergluing a fan onto a chipset heatsink?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OLMI

The heatsink that came on my girlfriend's A7N8X-E Deluxe motherboard is glued on. I have another heatsink and fan I want to put on, though. I read somewhere that if I turn it on and get the chipset warm I can get it off, but I really don't want to do that. Could I just superglue the fan onto the original heatsink?

Yeah, I suppose there shouldn't be any problem with that, as long as you don't mind reusing the original heatsink and just adding a fan. Personally though, it would be alot better to remove the old heatsink and put a new one on just because I'm sure the old one isn't all that great, and plus, it's probably stuck on with some really crappy thermal interface material, and it would be good to get some AS or whatever under there. It's up to you though.

I donno about superglue, its kinda thin... it really works best on plastics that it can bond together.

hot glue, not a bad idea.

could also try elmers glue, or for the most holding power silicone or even epoxy. thats in the order of strength.

Id probably opt for silicone, gets a great bond, and can be easily removed with a razor.

ares350 said:
I donno about superglue, its kinda thin... it really works best on plastics that it can bond together.

hot glue, not a bad idea.

could also try elmers glue, or for the most holding power silicone or even epoxy. thats in the order of strength.

Id probably opt for silicone, gets a great bond, and can be easily removed with a razor.
Hmm, good thinking... I have decided to just heat it up to take the old one off, though. I'll update in a bit.

ive superglued a 60mm fan to my soltek mobo just glued the back of the hub (the bit that dosent spin behind the hub of the fan) to the northbrige heatsink,
works like a charm for max overkill

Superglue is a decent option, what I do is superglue 4 small rubber washers (for flexability and vibration isolation) to the heatsink and then superglue the fan to the rubber washer. The fan isn't going anywhere if done properly.

To prove this, here's a pic of a 10,500rpm counter rotating fan affixed with this method. Been attached for about 4 months.

Picture_009.jpg

To remove the fan you simply use a razor and cut the rubber washer and clean it up with acetone if need be if you ever want to remove the fan and clean things up to the original condition.

BUT IF THE HEATSINK GETS VERY HOT, superglue should not be used, just read Superglues MSDS to validate this...

I use a silicon adhesive called "Goop".
It's available at many hardware stores and does the same thing as SSsam's rubber washer method with the added advantage of being easily removable ( it like to stick to itself more than anything else...a good twist will usually remove it completely).
Plus, it's not heat sensitive like superglues are.

Thanks for all the advice, guys. Silversinksam, your idea sounds really great, but I recently discovered that I don't even need a fan :D Someone told me before that I might need one, but instead of trusting them, I felt the north bridge heatsink, and it was barely even warm. My SF II is moving enough cfm to move some air over it :)

If it gets hot, I will use your advice, guys. Once again, thanks a ton!

OLMI said:
Thanks for all the advice, guys. Silversinksam, your idea sounds really great, but I recently discovered that I don't even need a fan :D Someone told me before that I might need one, but instead of trusting them, I felt the north bridge heatsink, and it was barely even warm. My SF II is moving enough cfm to move some air over it :)

If it gets hot, I will use your advice, guys. Once again, thanks a ton!

Before I got a MCX159-P for my Asus board like yours I simply added a 40mm x 10mm Silent Adda fan with the method I suggested.

Try this, run 3DMARK 2003 and feel the northbridge while the system is under load, if your case has good ventilation you probably don't need a fan on the Northy, but adding one doesn't hurt any ;)

Silversinksam said:
Before I got a MCX159-P for my Asus board like yours I simply added a 40mm x 10mm Silent Adda fan with the method I suggested.

Try this, run 3DMARK 2003 and feel the northbridge while the system is under load, if your case has good ventilation you probably don't need a fan on the Northy, but adding one doesn't hurt any ;)
It hurts my wallet :D Thanks a bunch!

Try Automotive trim & emblem adhesive, Thats what I use. Just a little dab on the corers of the contact area, let it stand for a few minutes, and then apply. If you need to get it back off, just give it a slight twist. Another thing: I find old socket 7 HSF's, complete with the hs, work great for chipset coolers.

Mr_Obvious said:
Try Automotive trim & emblem adhesive, Thats what I use. Just a little dab on the corers of the contact area, let it stand for a few minutes, and then apply. If you need to get it back off, just give it a slight twist. Another thing: I find old socket 7 HSF's, complete with the hs, work great for chipset coolers.
That sounds cool. I'll check that out, too

Back