Notices

Overclockers Forums > Discussions > General Discussion
General Discussion Forum for general conversation, share interests, have a laugh or discuss anything not related to above or below forums.
Forum Jump

Getting a new car CD player from Best Buy...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Old 06-13-04, 10:55 PM Thread Starter   #1
MitchV

Getting a new car CD player from Best Buy...

In 2001 I bought a second generation AIWA MP3 player for my car (the first model they came out with was some ungodly purple). The MP3 player made me very happy and has served it's purpose well.

My wife now drives that car and when I took it for a spin today, I realized that the button to skip forward to the next track is broken. Since I have one of those extended warranties, it means that I'll get to drive over to Best Buy and pick out a new CD player.

The only complaint I had about my old MP3 player is that it was ultra-sensitive and could skip when the car hit a moderate bump. Otherwise, I don't think I've seen a CD/MP3 model that I like anymore than the one I have had since 2001. The titles scrolled all the way across the display (unlike the early Sony MP3 models). It also has a auxilary input on the front... which is perfect for my HD MP3 player.

My question is what kind of suggestion would people here make? According to my receipt, I think I'm going to end up with $269 credit + tax... a comparable CD player seems to be about $100 cheaper these days.

I don't need a kickass thumping sound system... I just like for my wife and myself to be able to enjoy CDs and CDs burned with MP3s. Please don't give me any audiophile crap about MP3 sound quality... this sucker is in a Honda Accord and Honda's are loud enough to cover up any sound compression defects.

I've seen a lot of radios that state they are XMS ready or whatever... but I'm not interested in paying a subscription for radio. I rented a car a few weeks back with satellite radio and thought it was stupid... my MP3 CDs are much better and cheaper.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

S3 Trio 3D/X2 video card
150 watt No Name PSU
14.4 US Robotics Modem
Windows 95 - Fully patched with Microsoft PLUS!
HeatWare
MitchV is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 06-13-04, 11:37 PM   #2
tom10167

10 Year Badge

This will surely turn in to a huge debate, but I will tell you what I've heard from hundreds upon hundreds of people.

Stay away from Sony and Aiwa. You said it yourself, it skipped.

Kenwood is good, but the buttons are so similar that it's almost necessary to look when you want to find a certain button. From what I hear the new Alpines(my personal er ex personal favorite) are picky as to the quality of the cd.... I have an Alpine and absolutely love it. I think my stepbrother's is just defective.
tom10167 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 06-14-04, 08:23 PM   #3
stockhatch

A second the Alpine. I have a CDA-9807 and it cares not what type of CD you feed it. It reads even my oldest most scratched up disks. I havent been able to make it skip yet, and the remote makes navigation easy.

AC

E6600(8x400) - Infinity
2x250 Perps RAID 0
P5W DH Deluxe
2GB GSkill HK
8800GTX
620HX

HEAT
stockhatch is offline Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 06-14-04, 08:32 PM   #4
KfistoRok

I have Alpine. Maybe too top knotch for him. He justs wants something to satisfy his wifie, but if you can get one of those puppies you won't regret it. Check out pricegrabber.com for some good deals. I've owned a JVC and it was very reliably, but that was years ago. I agree to stay away from Sony and Aiwa.

Old 06-14-04, 10:04 PM   #5
AMD Phreak

I am currently a car audio installer, and used to work for Best Buy. I am not sure, but in your area, BBY might not carry the above mentioned brands. If they do, great. They are a good brand. Otherwise, take a look at the Pioneer and JVC tuners. The Pioneers in the mid price range usually come with XM tuner capibility. The JVC's don't. I am personally fond of the Pioneers, as the XM ready tuners also feature the Pioneer P-bus interface located in the rear. This allows you to purchase an interface cable (I sell them for $35) which give you an RCA input which you can use to wire in an mp3 player, or notebook so you can use a portable mp3 player or watch a dvd. I don't condone the driver watching movies while the vehicle is in motion, however.

I dont have many problems with either brand. The only time I see problems are when people use them as penny banks.

As for Sony and Aiwa: While they are both well known brands I can't recomend them as I have seen too many problems.

Hope this helps.

BTW Are you in the area of Layfayette?

If you don't like what I have to say, please direct your comments to /dev/null. Have a nice day :D
-------------------
MSI k7t
AMD Athlon TBird 1100 @ 1291MHz
Vcore 1.80v
Verto GeForce4ti 4400 128MB
Winblowz XP Pro
Lian-Li PC60B
AMD Phreak is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 06-14-04, 10:07 PM   #6
stockhatch

I had a JVC and a Pioneer before, and had many problems out of them...but I could have just gotten a couple lemons. This was a few years back also.

AC

E6600(8x400) - Infinity
2x250 Perps RAID 0
P5W DH Deluxe
2GB GSkill HK
8800GTX
620HX

HEAT
stockhatch is offline Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 06-14-04, 11:59 PM   #7
WyrmMaster
I'm a little teapot Senior

iv heard many good things about pioneer decks, for the price there supposed to be very nice.
WyrmMaster is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 06-15-04, 12:57 AM Thread Starter   #8
MitchV

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMD Phreak

BTW Are you in the area of Layfayette?
Nah, about an hour and 20 minutes away... I live outside of New Orleans on the north shore.

Thanks for the input everyone. I'll definitely check out those brand names when I make the trip to Best Buy. I actually bought the warranty on my current (broken) AIWA CD player because I wasn't too sure of the brand... it appears I made the right decision. Three years later I get to swap my CD player out for newer technology!!

S3 Trio 3D/X2 video card
150 watt No Name PSU
14.4 US Robotics Modem
Windows 95 - Fully patched with Microsoft PLUS!
HeatWare
MitchV is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 06-15-04, 01:10 AM   #9
AMD Phreak

Ah, I was going to say you should stop into that store and talk to my buddy Mel, he is the supervisor. He'd be able to make sure you are taken care of. No discount, but I can garuntee the job will be done right. If you ever need an alarm or remote starter, make the drive that far for the install. The man is the best in the area.

Good luck with your pick.

If you don't like what I have to say, please direct your comments to /dev/null. Have a nice day :D
-------------------
MSI k7t
AMD Athlon TBird 1100 @ 1291MHz
Vcore 1.80v
Verto GeForce4ti 4400 128MB
Winblowz XP Pro
Lian-Li PC60B
AMD Phreak is offline   QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Discussions > General Discussion
General Discussion Forum for general conversation, share interests, have a laugh or discuss anything not related to above or below forums.