• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

laptop folding

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

warp1

Registered
A friend of mine is willing to set up folding for me on his laptop (Sony Vao (sp)). Anyway, I asked him to wait cause I was worried about heat. Having never owned a laptop, didnt seem like it could disipate heat to well. His is not overclocked and a newer pentium I believe.

Should I have him move his CPU usage slider down to 80% or so? Is heat normally a problem for you other laptop folders? Should I just have him monitor his CPU temp like you would for a desktop?

Would hate to have him damage his equipment helping me (and the program) out like this.

Thanks in advance, Bill

I would not have him fold on the laptop... his battery life will become non existant and there is the heat. Not worth it IMO.

yea, pat him on the back, tell him thanks, but if he plans of useing it for portablitliy it's not worth it. just make sure his desktop folds ^_~

What if you don't care about portability? I'm planning on getting a laptop soon and was kinda wondering the same thing about the heat. When I would travel, I would stop the service. While it was running on wall power, it would be folding.

miralcos,
does your laptop get very hot to the touch when you game for a while on it?
i ask because your lappy will be that hot (maybe hotter) 24-7.

oh, and nice increase on your production. don't think i'll be catching you again for a while.

:)
I haven't bought the laptop yet, still pricing them, but it will soon be mine.

I got a couple computers together is the reason for production increase. Didn't think I was gonna be able to pass you for a while there.

The reason I asked about the heat on them is because it won't be overclocked so it should dissipate any heat made running it 100%. Otherwise they would be selling a system that couldn't handle what it was made for, no? I wouldn't care if it got hot as long as it wouldn't hurt it.

the big things I've heard are the constant log writing eventually hurts the hd(someone please confirm or rebuke this) and the heat of course. if you get a warranty though than ur covered ^_~

you would think the laptop makers would make it so they could handle 100% load 24/7.
but in my experience from an old powermac, and stories from alienware laptop users, those things really heat up.

how fast is the processor in the laptop?

definitely get a warranty with it though. they might ask you how you managed to melt the casing though... so be prepared:D

I have my laptop for about a month now... it's a Dell P4 2.66 Ghz... It folds 24/7... and yes it gets hot, but it has yet to overheat, and it's not unbearably hot when you put it in your lap. And if I do decide to take it with me somewhere I just turn off folding while on battery power.

iD1ot- I was looking at the Pentium M processor based laptops.

CaptnBackfire87 - That's what I was wondering about. I would do the same with the one I buy. I don't really mind if it gets hot, just not hot enough to hurt anything. I think the new M's are a little cooler anyways.

ok, with the M's you should be fine.
i was thinkin of those alienwares with the desktop P4's in them.

if your worried about heat companys sell laptop cooling bases that raise the laptop and has fans underneath that cool it. antec has one out.

On my laptop I'll have it fold when on AC (it runs 24/7 when I'm home) and I've never had any heat problems with it (Although it is an M). However, it just murders my battery life if I try to fold on battery. I would recommend not folding on laptops other than your own where you don't mind switching it on/off whenever you switch from AC to battery (however people with laptops that never move away from the outlet should be ok for borging).
As for those laptop cooling pads, I doubt they would really do too much. Any airflow from fans in the cooling pads would only cool the case, not the CPU/GPU/whatever. I just try to keep my laptop on a hard surface and it seems to be just fine (it gets a little warm underneath but I've never had overheating problems).

Thanks for all the inputs. Battery life not much of a concern and would definitely disable it when he goes mobile. I'll see how it goes.

i'm folding on my lappie (athlon 64 DTR 3000+ OC'ed to 2.1ghz, and it's at ~58'C load in 25'C ambient temp) .. not the fastest folders around, but still doing it for the cause :)

Back