• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I might have done something very silly...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Goodberry

Registered
Need some help with a predicament please:

A7N8X motherboard, athlon 3200+ CPU, 1 GB PC3200.
Overclocking it, I got as far as 12.5*220 for the multiplier, then upon raising it to 12.5 * 225 the computer boots but just stays on the bios screen, sometimes not detecting any ram at all.

Afer that it just seems to lock up, can't press delete to enter the bios although I managed that once, and then it froze in the bios screen...

What action can I take to remedy this, and does anyone know what might be the problem (I never raised the Vcore so maybe that's the problem..)

Thanks in advance :)

The simplest thing would be to reset the bios using a jumper on the motherboard, it should be somewhere near the cmos battery.

One other option is to wait until the processor cools off and change things very quickly in the bios - i'd personally stick with the first one since if it is overheating i wouldn't run it too long.

hope that helps

Time to clear the CMOS by unplugging the power cord and then moving a jumper on the mobo (read mobo manual for specific instructions). This will reset the BIOS back to all the default settings.

Thanks for all the help; In the end I managed quickly change the settings back after leaving it to cool off...

Does this definitely mean it is a heating problem though? on 220*12.5 I was running Pcmark and the core temp was usually 39 or 40.

Could it be core voltage not being enough or the FSB spread spectrum causing the problem?

That's a bit of a disappointment

The ram was my new Corsair ram that arrived today... :(

Obviously not all it's supposed to be then.

corsair is a good brand.. what ram is it from corsair?

i dont know what the default FSB is on that CPU, but im guessing 166/200? try upping the vcore to see if it helps..to eliminate the RAM, go to the highest bootable overclock and run memtest86 on the ram..

The exact type of RAM was 2 x 512 corsair value select PC3200 CAS latency 2.5.

I have looked in my BIOS just now and the RAM is running at 2.5-3-3-4 timings, maybe these numbers are affecting overclockability?

At any rate I've got plenty to test now. I'm off to copy down all my bios settings in case I do have to reset the CMOS :D

Goodberry said:
Need some help with a predicament please:

A7N8X motherboard, athlon 3200+ CPU, 1 GB PC3200.
Overclocking it, I got as far as 12.5*220 for the multiplier, then upon raising it to 12.5 * 225 the computer boots but just stays on the bios screen, sometimes not detecting any ram at all.

Afer that it just seems to lock up, can't press delete to enter the bios although I managed that once, and then it froze in the bios screen...

What action can I take to remedy this, and does anyone know what might be the problem (I never raised the Vcore so maybe that's the problem..)

Thanks in advance :)

GOOD GOD!

You must have a SUPER LEPREUCAN MAGICAL CHIP! to get an OC like that on an 3200+ and an Asus a7n8x. Before I got my mobile barton and DFI LanParty. The best I could do is 12.5x200 at max voltage with the same setup.

Nice job man.

I don't know why anybody hasn't mentioned this, but lower your multiplier if you want a higher FSB! At 220x12.5, you're running at 2750mhz! You've got a very nice chip, if that's the case. Set your multiplier to 11 and crank the FSB up.

Something else to try, thanks....

I know the speed sounds a tad implausible. I am *absoultely* sure the BIOS settings are those exactly; I don't know if this is of any relevance but both 3D mark 2003 and PC mark 2002 seem to be misreporting my CPU speed as lower than it is supposed to be...

Let me guess they are reporting your cpu speed as 1.25Ghz.....
It is most certainly not booting at 12.5 x 220 - unless you have awesome air cooling or water cooling and you have upped your vcore.
More detail on your system would be helpful. PSU, HSF etc, what 3DM is reporting your frequency (speed) as. Running WCPUID would be useful as well to see what it reports.

OK here goes:

3D mark 2003 reports the CPU speed as 2416 MhZ.
WCPUID reports the CPU speed as 2425 MhZ, but displays the multiplier as only 11 X, which seems to make sense as far as speeds go. WCPUID does show the FSB as 220.5 MhZ.

The CPU is cooled by a Jet 7 CPU fan, with a pure copper heatsink.

ASUSprobe reports the Vcore at a steady 1.68 V, CPU temp about 40 C idle, 44 is the highest I have seen it under load.

Perhaps the multiplier isn't changing for some reason on the motherboard?

I think default on a XP3200+ is 11X200 and the multiplier is probably locked which explains why you can't change the multiplier.

With Intel processors, no... but I think you still can with AMD. Try searching or posting in the AMD CPU section.

Not with the processors made towards the end of last year or later. Did you allready try to raise voltage for the ram and northbridge?

Careful of Asus Probe..

It displays the Chip sensor located under your chip as the CPU temp.. it is NOT accurate.. Use Motherboard Monitor, this will display your Diode temp. (which will be higher than what asus probe reports)

Back