• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

So my BIOS ship is fragged...now what?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NicePants42

So my BIOS chip is fragged...now what?

I'm running an ASUS A7N8X-Deluxe.

Comp froze during BIOS flash, tech support says I have to send in my chip and have them re-flash it and send it back to me.

This sucks.

My questions are:

1) Can I just make a bootable floppy to start up DOS and then flash it myself? If not, why is the world so cruel?

2) How the #$&^ do I get the BIOS chip off the board without breaking the $%&* out of it? Neither the manual nor the helpful *gufaw* tech support email offered any advice on how to remove the chip - but I must make sure to package it very carefully lest it be broken.

1) nope, well most likely nope, some MB's will let you hit a certain key combo to force a floppy read, but if your MB does do it, it's only to force another flash, not to run DOS.

2)BIOS chips are fairly easy to remove, or so I've heard, been lucky on my flashes so far. So I wouldn't worry about breaking it. You could go to your local Radio Shack (or something like that) and get a tool for removing chips, I don't think it even costs that much.

take it to comp shop before you destroy the mobo i work at a shop and to many ppl have to get a new mobo cuz they try it them self ( this is the one thing u dont wana du ur self just take it to a shop!) unless u know what ur doing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Got any old scrap boards around? I remember destroying my Abit BE6 and I removed the bios chip.. I just yanked it out straight and it one motion and it came out without any bent pins.

Just read a guide on how to remove your bios properly and you should be fine.

Don't take it to a tech. Most won't have a clue on what to do .. and their labour charges are ridiculous.. You'll end up paying like $20/Hr + Repair Charges.

Back