• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Removing and reseating Heatsink

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Flav_cool

Registered
Hi,

I've done this a few times but it was done at an interval of once every few days since i was experimenting with reseating it. Unfortunately I saw no diff in temps, and now i read somewhere that even a fiber from the thing you wiped the old paste and rubbing alcohol with, can make a difference.

It's been on at least 2 months and I am scared that the heatsink has glued solid to the CPU (this happened even bfr) I don't want to pull out the heatsink together with the cpu as I have done twice!

What can I do so that it easily comes off?

BTW I have Zalman 7000Cu, so it's really big.

I used AS3 last time.

The problem is getting the heatsink off the cpu without pulling the heatsink out of the motherboard with the cpu stuck on it.

I have tried to organize my airflow...but I'm not exactly sure if the air is flowing the way I want it to... I don't know how i would check wat path the air is following unless i put some dust in it lol, and i don't want to do that.

But umm, I have P43.0GHz processor, and it has been real sticky in the past (like i said i pulled it out twice together with the processor) but i imagine its really not good for it if that happens.

Cables, I've put to the side, but there are like 2 I can't move

Flav_cool said:
I have tried to organize my airflow...but I'm not exactly sure if the air is flowing the way I want it to... I don't know how i would check wat path the air is following unless i put some dust in it lol, and i don't want to do that.

But umm, I have P43.0GHz processor, and it has been real sticky in the past (like i said i pulled it out twice together with the processor) but i imagine its really not good for it if that happens.

Cables, I've put to the side, but there are like 2 I can't move

Air should move fore-to-aft in the case and you should intake more than you exhaust. Fresh air should be intaked at a side panel fan if at all possible and this fan should be located near the CPU. Cooling forum can help you more. And so can the search function.

Maybe this is a flaw with socket 478? Out of all the CPU changes I've done on my AMD boxen, I've never ripped a CPU out...

I have a fan in the front bottom intake 72mm (no girlles nothing, pure fan + empty hole)

Also have back fan 92mm i believe also no grilles nothing.

Also have side fan in side panel above cpu blowing at cpu 72mm. also cut clean right out, no grilles.

Also have Psu fan right above the cpu pulling up (but weakly).
So i suspect the air is going in through front and side and out back and psu.

Flav_cool said:

I read on here someplace else that someone else uses a stick of incense at the front fan and can see the airflow through the case that way. Only works if you have a window I guess. Try it out.

Cheers!!

Back