• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gentoo not booting KDE or Gnome

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

arabarabian

I just did an install of Gentoo completely by the manual and it is only booting into the command line prompt. I set it to boot KDE as standard but it is not. Any help would be great.

That's because you didn't install X. The gentoo install is gentoo, nothing else.

You need to read the desktop configuration guide on the gentoo.org website and install X.

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/desktop.xml

Gentoo doesn't install anything by default, you have to tell it what to install. That way, you only get what you want/need.

In my opinion, people are overcautious about using root. I have always had full admin access to my windows machine, and I've never done anything horrible to that. I agree that one should not use root as a general purpose login, but I run X with root all the time when I'm setting up a new install or something like that.

It is simple it is not nescessary and it is a lot easier to trash your system by one mistyped space in a command. Also running X as root is just very dangerous do you want a browser launched as root when it has no nedd of root priviledges? Anything you run thru X when X is run as root will have root priveledges. Just very dangerous. Not only that but a lot of your programs will not let you run them as root. Good luck and please try to start with good habbits instead of learning the hard way:eek:

Running as root is a bad idea. Think about windoze and those pesky viruses. They can install because it lets users install programs with the same privledges as a root user.

I hate windoze. Linux is all I want. :D

:D :D :D :D

Oh, compiling KDE will take a good while unless you install the precompiled version.

Compiling KDE takes FOREVER.

I agree that you shouldn't run as root as a general rule, but I think you're vastly overstating the dangers. It's not "very dangerous" in my opinion, just slightly more risky. Chances are, you'll be fine either way, but of course you shouldn't be running as root unless you have a reason to do so.

No sense leaving the door open for the crooks in the world. If we keep Linux secure, they will continue to attack windoze. They can have windoze.

:D :D :D

Haha, works for me. =)

The more I use linux, the less interest I have in ever using windows again. Once you get comfortable with it, there is no going back.

I can say I have never bought a M$ product. I have never had it on my machine either. I have no use for it, AOL either really. I don't need training wheels.

:D :D :D :D

I always hated AOL. I've used many M$ operating systems, although most were paid for by my father's company when I was a kid. I still have a windows install, but I hardly ever boot to it anymore. I have a red hat install as well, but gentoo owns it, so I mostly just use gentoo now.

... Anyway

Beware when compiling KDE from scratch using emerge. It took my XP2000 box a lengthy 18 hours to do it o_O

I recommend using --fetchonly to download the tarballs you need before compiling them all if you plan on using the internet/it's unreliable

Yes, KDE took quite some time to compile on my XP 3000+, I'd guess about 12-15 hours or so (I went to bed). Gnome wasn't quite as bad, but took a long time too.

The smaller window managers take like 5-10 minutes.

Ok, I compiled it last night. I started right before I went to bed and when I awoke it was done. I am stilling getting the bugs out bug I am getting closer. Thanks for all your help. Once I figure out my stupid mistakes I will be happy to be in Gentoo. I liked Mandrake somewhat but it was not fast enough.

Back