• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

EM and RF interference?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kamui

Registered
I was talking to one of the engineers at the tv station i work at about my building a wooden case. He asked me how i was going to sheild it from EMI's and RFI's. Electromagnetic and Radio Frequency interference. I had really put any thought into needing any form of sheilding like this. He went on to say that most computers dont need it becasue the cases are already made of metal.

Does anyone who has made cases out of other materials have any input on this subject?

If it IS neccessary, do you suggest copper wire mesh or using metal strips inside the case to solce any EM or RF inteference?

A real quick and easy way would be to line the case in tin foil then make sure the foil is grounded somewhere. unless your going for a "look" on the inisde you shouldt need much more that that.

Kamui said:
I was talking to one of the engineers at the tv station i work at about my building a wooden case. He asked me how i was going to sheild it from EMI's and RFI's. Electromagnetic and Radio Frequency interference. I had really put any thought into needing any form of sheilding like this. He went on to say that most computers dont need it becasue the cases are already made of metal.

Does anyone who has made cases out of other materials have any input on this subject?

If it IS neccessary, do you suggest copper wire mesh or using metal strips inside the case to solce any EM or RF inteference?

That depends...are there any nearby Microwave, Cell, Radio or TV Transmitters? What about other nearby RFI sources such as TV's and Unshielded monitors, Wireless telephones, Cameras? It just depends on your location...do you live in a densely populated area or a sparcely populated area?

I had a friend that lived across the street from a radio tower and his stereo AMP would pick up the station without a radio tuner! Nothing stranger than listning to radio from your record player :rolleyes:

I doubt you need any kind of shielding, I'm running a caseless PC for more than a year w/o any problems.

I would just build the case, and if you think that EMI or RFI is causing problems it shouldn't be hard to shield it afterwards

It depends on the insulation in your house, whether or not your house has aluminum siding, and how close you have you PC to your garage door, TV, HAM radio, or whatever. The PC isn't usually going to receive any harmful interference, but it is going to output some which could interupt other devices in your house. My friend had some foibles with his garage door when he took his clear-case too close to that end of the house.

You never can tell with those kinds of things, but most of the things I've heard of or seen myself are minor signal interferance problems.

Back