• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how fast does ocing a 2500+ to 3200+ speeds kill it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

elitebear4

for some reason i feel a bit scared about ocing processors, while ocing video cards and such, are a lot more comfortable for me to think about. i dunno, maybe im paranoid, but doesnt ocing a 2500+ to 3200+ speeds kill it rather quickly, even with good cooling? i always hear horror stories about people with oced 2500+'s that die quickly and need to be replaced

watch the temp the temp and the temp while you are ocing and overvolting. Temp is what kill the proc. not ocing..

I've ocing one year before my joined date. Not even one of my OC processor die because of ocing.. They die because of overheating, cpu fan die, PSU die chip corner, wrong heatsink installing etc... definitely not OCing.

Actually, the real killer in overclocking isn't temperature... it's overvolting. Increase the voltage going through ANY processor by more than just a bit, and the '10 year lifespan' starts to sound more like the '6 month lifespace'.

Temperature is another killer, but processor damage will also come from overvolting.

Just keep it at the minimum stable voltage.

2.0v isnt healthy....

P4s are known to sometimes start degrading after a few months of higher voltage and clockspeed...dont know about ÁXP's though :-/

Overclock away! By the time you kill that poor prossesor it will be time for a new on anyway. ;)

I have a pII overclock since i got it about 4 years ago and it still works fine.(me wife office puter)

My good ol' TBird 1000 @ 1500 , +0.2V, still works fine. It's time to change it, but not because it's dead, mostly because it's too slow now...

as wierd and complicated as this may sound your board/PSU/RAM will probably die quicker than your proc will OCed... keep an eye on those temps and just because a board offers 2.0 volts doesn't mean your procs gonna take em.

Suran said:
Actually, the real killer in overclocking isn't temperature... it's overvolting. Increase the voltage going through ANY processor by more than just a bit, and the '10 year lifespan' starts to sound more like the '6 month lifespace'.

Temperature is another killer, but processor damage will also come from overvolting.

Just keep it at the minimum stable voltage.

And where did you get that from 6 months ?, Iv had this cpu for over 7 months now and iv overvoltage it up to 2.3v and it still fine, and iv overclocked other cpu's for over 2 years and they all still worked fine, Until i chipped the corners from the heatsinks.

I think what u said is flaud, cpu life span of 10 years is just a Guess no one knows how long the cpu's will last. Its not like they tested a Barton for over 10 years before the release to know how long they last. Putting more voltage in a cpu will only cut the life span by probly a couple years or so maybe 4 maybe 6.

As for 2v it doesnt sound healthy to you because thier have been a few and yes i mean few that reported thier cpu died @ 2v. Frankly i think its because Inadaquit cooling and user error. Like i said iv had this barton for over 7 months now and iv pumped 2.3 -2.2v in for a long time when i do massive overclocking and its fien to this day. Heck iv ran 2v through the thing 24/7 for over 5 or so months.

Amd recomendations is not to go over 2v. I only mention to someone to use 2v if thye have a watercooling setup and thier temps are in a certain range.

Back to the topic, 2 things can killa cpu, When u pump alot of voltage in the proc and have bad cooling you will be cutting the cpu life by alot its not one or the other its both voltage and heat.

CandymanCan said:
Its not like they tested a Barton for over 10 years before the release to know how long they last. Putting more voltage in a cpu will only cut the life span by probly a couple years or so maybe 4 maybe 6.
If you want to know:
There is a theory in sillicon life span and most manufacture test it. They use a formula to test the expected life of a cpu. since there is a constant relationship between temperature and cpu life expectancy. I don't remember the formula on top of my head but you can find it in the link below. I used to be a product engineer and this is how I test chip life span. They call it life test, reliability test, or burn in test.

Place the cpu in it's operation by exercise at least 80% of the circuits inside. This whole circuits run in a oven at 140-170C. They leave it in there for one week to one month depends on the calculated time and then they test the cpus afterward. If they all pass the functional test, it means that all of the chip will last 10years in normal operations.

Standard comercial chip usually has a 10years life expectancy under normal conditions spec by the manufacture.
here is some links on more info.
http://www.national.com/quality/profile_reliability_test.html
http://www.semicon.toshiba.co.jp/eng/prd/common/data/pdf/relia_dis03.pdf

there are some article in the front page about it as well.
http://www.overclockers.com/tips30/

^ What overdoze said.

Increasing the voltage WILL increase the speed at which the transistors degrade. This is tied into heat, as heat is part of the chemical reaction which is the root of a processor or any other circut naturally reaching the end of its lifespan. 10 years is generally accepted to be the lifespan of a modern component running at specification.

How much cooling you have on these transistors doesnt magically make overvolting safer, either. While keeping the transistors cooler is indeed a very good idea, cooling carries away already-generated heat. Overvolting will damage transistors because the heat is still generated. Remember, heat and electricity are, at the most basic level, the same thing - energy.

All of this is fairly basic transistor info. This is reality, not my opinion. ;)

Back