General Motherboards
Forum Jump

New mobo? Promise Cntlr? SATA?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 06-16-04, 11:11 AM Thread Starter   #1
JimmyG

10 Year Badge

Question New mobo? Promise Cntlr? SATA?

I'm currently running an ASUS a7V266 with an XP2500+. The promise RAID controller takes forever to detect the hard drives unless all 4 ports are used. When all 4 ports are used, it only takes a couple of seconds to detect the hard drives. As far as I know there is no way around this.

Now for my question. All of the new boards seem to have SATA RAID ports. Do they have this same problem? Is SATA really any faster than DMA133?

What is a good upgrade mobo that doesn't force me to use SATA drives? I have 4 drives that work at DMA133 that add up to 250 Gigabyte. Who needs more storage???

Main Computer: INTEL 2600K; ASUS P8Z68 Deluxe; 850W Corsair; Antec P280 case;16 Gigs Corsair Vengance;EVGA 560 TI; 120 INTEL SSD; 2x500Gig WD HD; op system: Win 7-64; Backup computer:INTEL Q6600; 650W Corsair in Antec P180 Case; 4 Gigs RAM; EVGA GT430; Gigibyte P45T-ES3G mobo; 1x200 GB WD; 2x160 GB WD; 1x1GB WD. Operating system: Win 7 -64. ***Avatar by Gresyth***
JimmyG is offline Author Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Overclockers Approved
Which motherboard should you buy? Get the final word here. Check out the latest Overclockers reviews:
ASRock Z77 OC Formula Motherboard Review

ASRock teamed up with overclocker Nick Shih to make a high-end overclocking-based, yet functional for all users, motherboard named the Z77 OC Formula. It appears they have achieved it. Read More.

Get it at NewEgg for $239.99
ASUS Maximus V Formula Motherboard

The Maximus V Formula is part of the ROG (Republic of Gamers) series of motherboards, which in itself brings a high level of expectation. It's a no brainer, Overclockers Approved! Read more.

Get it at NewEgg for $279.99
Old 06-22-04, 07:51 PM Thread Starter   #2
JimmyG

10 Year Badge

Anyone????

Main Computer: INTEL 2600K; ASUS P8Z68 Deluxe; 850W Corsair; Antec P280 case;16 Gigs Corsair Vengance;EVGA 560 TI; 120 INTEL SSD; 2x500Gig WD HD; op system: Win 7-64; Backup computer:INTEL Q6600; 650W Corsair in Antec P180 Case; 4 Gigs RAM; EVGA GT430; Gigibyte P45T-ES3G mobo; 1x200 GB WD; 2x160 GB WD; 1x1GB WD. Operating system: Win 7 -64. ***Avatar by Gresyth***
JimmyG is offline Author Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 06-24-04, 05:15 PM   #3
DJ Switch

The new Intel Chipsets' SATA with any Native SATA Drive and TQM will break the ATA133 spec as reported by THG. Its in the article about Intels new platforms.
DJ Switch is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 06-27-04, 06:39 PM   #4
OCMunkee

If you have dma133 drives, and sata mobo connections, you can buy sata adapters for them. These generally aren't too expensive and work well, your drives will run faster and if you use up those SATA connections on the board, it will post quicker too (or so I've been led to believe :P)
Hope this helps,
--Nathan
p.s. anyone feel free to completely contradict me
OCMunkee is offline   QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Motherboards > General Motherboards
General Motherboards