• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

X-Dreamer Questions (PSU)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

radium

Hey all, I'm new to the forums, and I have a question for all the saavys out there. I'm stumped as far as it goes.

Let me start off that I'm on a budget, I just ordered this computer for 810 bucks, the specs are:

Case : X-Dreamer Mid-Tower 350 Watt Front USB (BLue) w/ See-Through Window ATX

Mobo: Abit VI7 800/533MHz VIA PT800 Chipset AGP 8X DDR400 S-ATA LAN Sound USB 2.0 ATX

Processor: Intel P4 3.0 GHz FSB 800MHz

Memory: PC3200 DDR 400 1 GB

HD: Seagate ST380013AS 80GB 7200 RPM S-ATA

Video Card: Gainward FX 5200 256MB PRO/680 8X AGP DVI/TV

CD: NuTech DBW-521 52X24X52 CD-RW Drive with 16x DVD-ROM Black IDE INT

Cooling: Intel P-4 Heat Sink & Cooling Fan

Sound: Sound Blaster LIVE 5.1 PCI OEM

I know it's a piece of poop, but my question is: is that wattage too low for this system. I hear a lot about some PSUs not fitting into the x-dreamer case. What do you people think?

Wattage means nothing. PSU compaines can stick whatever wattage they want on the label. Most companies over-rate their products (Deer, Allied, RaidMax, PowMax, and countless others), some under-rate their products (Fortron/Sparkle FSP models), some are about right on their ratings (PC Power & Cooling, Antec's TruePower line). In many cases the weight and price of the PSU are better indicators of quality than the labels on the units (i.e. a feather-light, $20 "550 watt" generic PSU is always complete junk compared to a $25, heavy 250 watt model from a reputable company).

Aspire PSUs tend to be on the lower end of the quality scale, and over-rate their PSUs. I'd reccomend getting an FSP350 model Fortron or Sparkle since you're on a budget. Also, the 80mm fan versions are more under-rated than the 120mm fan versions.

EDIT: Also, welcome to the forums!

Don't you dare use that psu. Don't you dare :D

I recently took my friends dell and put it into the x-dreamer case for him and the damn thing wouldn't even start up. I put back in the dell psu and it worked great. Upon farther inspection, despite the p4 approved sticker on the power supply, I noticed that the psu has 16amps on the 12v line. Intel reccomends 18 at least for the p4. Especially a high end one like the 3.0c. I wouldn't trust that psu further than you can throw it. ACtually don't do that; its so light due to lack of good internals that you could probably throw it a good ways.

Spend $75 and get the Fortron 530 watt power supply. NO, you dont need 530 watts, but it is the second best normal atx power supply out there and will handle anything you can throw at it until BTX formfactor becomes common, which is years away (Intel estimates 2005-2007). You can't skimp on a power supply. Spend $75 and get the Fortron 530. It will allow you to sleep easier. Read this post I made about generic psu's if you are still not convinced:

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=304329

PLEASE dont use that psu and PLEASE get a Fortron 530. If $75 is still too much to spend for you then get a fortron 350 watt supply, which is as good as many companies 500+ watt supplies.

I've seen many of these cases come with Deer PSU's... I wouldn't trust it. My own recommendations are the Fortrons above 400w and Antec Truepowers above 430w. If you're on a really tight budget the Sparkle/Fortron FSP350-60BT over at Newegg will also do the job being perhaps the most underrated PSU I've ever heard of (but likely won't power a serious overclock).

Others to consider are the Seasonics above 400w (make sure you get the A3 revision for the better fan controller), and Enermax Noisetakers or Coolergiants above 420w.

Ok thanks a lot, I'm going to get a thermaltake 480 watt purepower for 64 bucks. I'm not even going to try and start the system up with that old 350 watt PSU.

With all those nice power cords I'm thinking of putting in about 5 fans. The case is really pretty though, which was a major selling point :)

Thanks again for all the answers

But I also heard rumors that it's hard to get a PSU that will fit into the case, does anyone have any experience with fitting problems?

EDIT: My first breach of warranty Yaaaay! :)

Well theres always ways to make things fit :) but yeah those aspire cases come with super weak psu's i should know i tryed running my X-Infinity with the cases psu and it didnt last to long...not untill i tryed adding a hard drive and ran outta power cables.. :eek:

computerpro3 said:
I recently took my friends dell and put it into the x-dreamer case for him and the damn thing wouldn't even start up. I put back in the dell psu and it worked great.
Could it be that the Dell computer had a proprietary PSU, which is why the PSU with the X-Dreamer didn't work?

Back