• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PREVENTING DUST: more intake or more exhaust?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pollux

i have an antec sonata with the stock fan as exhaust and an enermax adjustable for intake. which should i have at intake and exhaust to prevent dust buildup.

You should have more air flowing in to help keep dust down... of course you have to have filters over your intakes to keep them from blowing dust in your case, but they are easy to make with stocking or actual filter material from Home Depot or Walmart.
Don't forget to cut out the grills on your case for better airflow and less noise.

i'm kind of skeptical of the filters, but i guess it wouldnt hurt...now what about the dust that builds up on the fan blades. i get dust on my cpu heatsind and all the fan blades every now and then...would the filters help alot?

If you have the fan's blowing on the filters or if you have the filters mounted too close to the fans... then, yes, there is a performance drop. If you mount the filter a few inches away from the fan, then you won't really see that much of a performance drop.

The reason for the performance drop is that axial fans suck at working against resistance, and if the filter is too close it ends up trying to suck the air through the filter. If there's a gap between the fan and the filter, then air can flow in by itself just by the slight pressure difference caused by the fan, and the fan can push that air through while not working against as much resistance.

Alright, I was just thinking if someone was using silenxX or stealth fans that do now blow a lot of air to begin with and they add a filter to it, then next to no air would get through...

legendosiris said:
heheh, possibly....i think the best solution to dust is Canned air bi-weekly :D
Yes I agree, my computer does not even get that dusty to begin with really
it helps a lot if it is not sitting on the floor, mine is up on a nice computer stand that is about the same height as my desk
dust hasn't really been a problem at all for me

LOL only time i ever clean my comp is when im doing a complete system overhaul. Dosent get to dusty though it seems, and its not like i ever touch my window so no worries there. Maybe that is the benefit of only having 2 120mm exhaust fans =P

legendosiris said:
i'm kind of skeptical of the filters, but i guess it wouldnt hurt...now what about the dust that builds up on the fan blades. i get dust on my cpu heatsind and all the fan blades every now and then...would the filters help alot?

Here's the deal on filters. A filter that's the same size as the fan can be very restrictive. I like my filter to have about 1.5 times more area than the fan or opening being filtered. I also like my filter to stand off at least 2" from the fan blades to eliminate the possibility of shear and turbulence. These 2 things ensure that fan restriction is very insignificant.

In case you didn't see this site or the new pictures posted there, take a look.

http://webpages.charter.net/bobad/cool.htm

It shows a 155mm filter on a 120mm fan, and is the only inlet for air to enter the case. So, all air entering the case is filtered, and the CPU and graphics card are very happy with cool clean air blowing on them.

[QUOTE='[KX3]rAge dust hasn't really been a problem at all for me[/QUOTE]

I have 2000 square feet of carpet and 2 cats I would like to give you. :bang head

Meh. Sew together long sheets of filter material into something you can slip over your case. Cut holes in for your exhaust fans. Take the side panel of your case off and just have the filter material. Then ya dont have to worry. Im planning to line certain parts of the case with filter material. Hopefully it will help.

JT

Doesn't the sonata come with a filter on the front already? Oh, and you can cover up that the drilled out letter on the side panels to reduce dust.

you are never gonna stop all the dust from entering your pc. Best solution is not to have filters and just clean your pc every month. That way you dont reduce the air flow into the case.

Back