• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HDD Not Spinning?!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kayboykb

***Western Digital 80 GB*** -- Came with my Dell CPU 2 years ago.

Okay - yesterday I was trying to get my cpu to work with a new video card since I couldn't get past the bios.. Everytime I cut the computer on I could hear my hard drive's little whine as it started off on its spin course.

I packed up (to move) from Atlanta back home.. my cpu was in the trunk, maybe during the ride something messed up my hdd because now it isn't spinning at all.

I tried to hook up nothing but it and the psu, no go.. then I put one of the main connectors from my psu on the hard drive, and the other connector onto 2 different fans. Both fans work, but my hdd isn't spinning. It must be gone . . . . I've frozen it, shaken it (read these techniques on another forum) but no go..

If I have to buy another drive I'm on an $80 budget (was gonna buy an Audigy ZS!!!) Which drive should I get? I don't wanna spend $150 on a 36GB Raptor..

Check first at western digital with the serial number off the drive because the jb models(8mb cache 7200rpm) come with a 3 year warrenty and you might get lucky and still be able to get the Audigy ZS.
Deeman

just checked.. it's a no go. WD800BB is what I have.. and the warranty on it is gone.

These things have perfect timing :(

well its dead lol sorry it happens moving hd nope not good

well i would go with the 80gb 8mb sata hd from segate

there cheap as its going to get there just great drives the sata is just as mutch as ide so go sata

i run one there better than the 120's there just so fast and no noise imo

Okay, I've decided to go ahead and go with the SATA 8 mb 80gb 7200 RPM Seagate.

One thing - - I read this quote off of new egg "In order to have this working properly you would have to have a working floopy drive, power adapter for serial ata and have a mobo that can support it like the Abit NF7-S"

I took out my Floppy drive to make room for my water cooling (didn't have any need for it) - - - and power adapter for serial ata?

Basically, what is everything that I'm going to need when I buy this drive? Specs in Sig.

Very good choice in HD's im soon to get one for myself.
Dont worry about the floppy, its ok thats it not in ur sytem.
as long as your powersuply has 4 pin molex connectors and the sata connecters for the mobo then your good (i dont think that you need sata power connecter)
but i would use them there cheap and the just plug in from a 4 pin molex connecter into a sata powercable.

http://www.pchardware.co.uk/maxtorsata5.jpg
here it shows there is 2 ways to power the hd (i dont get it im just about to read up on sata stuff cuz im going for the same hd

but if u need a sata power cable this is what they look like

http://www.seagate.com/support/presales/images/sata_cable.jpg

Back