• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Drive plays DVDs but not CDs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Insomnia

Registered
Drive reads DVDs but not CDs

I just bought a Lite On 811S DVD+/-rw and like the title says it will not read regular CDs or CDRs but reads DVD discs flawlessly. I've tried changing DMA modes and IDE controllers without luck. Thought it might be the PSU but I have the same problems with running minimal components, it's a 350 watt Fortron.

Funny thing is I bought this drive because I thought my last one was shot because it wouldn't read despite testing various things like IDE cables, etc. So after this one failed to read I got concerned - however running DVDs fine just boggles me, seems like all the hardware must be fine because of this?

I'm running a barton 2500+ oc'd on a Shuttle A35N-U..

Any ideas?

Last edited:
I've tried lots of different CDs with it... can't run games, win xp cd, any burned CDs, etc etc... just DVDs

Nforce2 boards are known to have odd problems with CD/DVD drives. Try installing the latest nV drivers. If that doesn't work try uninstalling the nV IDE driver and let Windows install the default IDR driver.

I've messed with DMA modes with both the standard and nf2 controllers without any luck..

Well I think I've narrowed it down to the point where I'm pretty sure it's not a software issue.... I can't even boot into a cd.

Maybe I should flash my bios?

Flashed my bios perfectly without a floppy or cd :attn: but drive still wont read CDs

Since my drive reads/writes DVDs fine is there a way to burn win xp onto one so I can format..?

Nothing has worked... what am I missing/forgetting?

It's on right jumper settings, cord is fine - other devices have worked on the channel perfectly and it reads/burns DVDs..

Can't boot cd's with it..

There some bios setting that I've completely missed?

Back