• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I think I killed my MB

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nandro

Disabled
I was changing out my video card and memory because I sold them to upgrade. In the interm I was going to use an old MX440 vid and some Mushkin 2-2-2 special while I was waiting on my new stuff. After installing the old video and memory my board started constantly rebooting. I tried reseating everything and it kept doing it. Eventually it got to where it wouldnt even post which is where it is at now. The board is a MSI K8T neo. If I remove the memory I get the 2 beep siren, but as soon as I reinstall it it will power up but not post. I have tried 2 other old video cards as well. Anything I could try before I order another board? I have tried my HD's in my other machine and they work fine. I dont think it could be the processor as it wasnt touched. I even tried different memory in all of the slots.

Ok. Have you tried to only use one stick of RAM? Try booting up with only the bare parts(VC,RAM,main HDD). It may just be one of the other parts gone bad. Sorry I can help ya more.

I tried each of the different sticks and a seperate stick from a different system in all 3 slots, and it still dosent post. I think its shot.

Have you tried the vid card in your other machine? What card is in it now? I had issues when I 1st built mine, I picked up an Nvidia card that didn't have signed drivers. I ended up going to Nvidia & checking all of the cards I was thinking of buying, the one I have now was on the list- which is why I got it. It was easier to buy a card that had signed drivers than to mess with the BS I had with old cards.

Can you get your old stuff back for a little while just to install it to see if it will boot? Have you defaulted the bios back to load fail safe defaults?

I tried all of that over a 2 day period, and the most the MB would do was flick the power on for a brief instant. Enough to make the fan on the cpu barely move. I got an epox board. I am going to see if MSI will warranty this board as it is only 4 months old and was never overclocked.

Back