• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2.4A to replace lackluster 2.8C?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MIAG

I've been hearing about some stellar overclocks on these chips (3.5+ on stock cooling an volts) and some people even getting close to 4 ghz. My 2.8C doesn't like anything above 3.15 for consistent day-to-day use. The case is a Sonata, with the default fan and a VGA Silencer exhausting (something like 80CFM) and an SVC 100CFM windtunnel as intake, and a Zalman 7000 Al-Cu for CPU cooling. I think I'll be able to cool it down without much of a problem. I'd like to hear back from some 2.4 Pressy owners and see what they have to say and how high of an o/c they got.

batboy said:
With the 2.4A you might gain more raw CPU clock speed (and heat), but you lose FSB and HT.

IMO, 3.15 ghz is pathetic for a Zalman 7000 cooled 2.8C. I'm only running at 225FSB anyway. So I wouldn't be losing a whole lot of memory b/w if it clocked well enough. Someone else on the forum said his IS7 wouldn't go past 234FSB. I don't know if I'm hitting a wall with the chip or the board, but it does seem coincedental my setup is pegged at EXACTLY 234FSB as well (will not POST at any higher FSB, and barely makes into Windows at 234).

Almost everytime someone hits a brick wall with an Abit mobo, it's because of a RAM conflict. As much as I love Abit, they are picky about RAM. I would not give up until you try different RAM. Maybe borrow some from a friend to try? Or even try just one stick at a time. Do you have the PCI/AGP set to "fix" and the last 2 GAT settings disabled?

batboy said:
Almost everytime someone hits a brick wall with an Abit mobo, it's because of a RAM conflict. As much as I love Abit, they are picky about RAM. I would not give up until you try different RAM. Maybe borrow some from a friend to try? Or even try just one stick at a time. Do you have the PCI/AGP set to "fix" and the last 2 GAT settings disabled?

I tried just my PC4000. No help. Yes, the AGP/PCI is locked at 66/33 and GAT settings are Auto, Normal, Auto, Disabled, Disabled.

Hmmm.... My advice to you is look at the 2.4c or 2.6c chips. I mean while the 2.4 might top out at 300fsb just because of your board you will have more number crunchin power in it than a presshot at the same speed. Besides a 2.4 at 3.6(300fsb) has some very mighty membandwidth to make up for the shortfall of sheer mhz numbers add to the fact you still have HT and badda bing badda boom you still have the better chip.

Jiggahurtz said:
Hmmm.... My advice to you is look at the 2.4c or 2.6c chips. I mean while the 2.4 might top out at 300fsb just because of your board you will have more number crunchin power in it than a presshot at the same speed. Besides a 2.4 at 3.6(300fsb) has some very mighty membandwidth to make up for the shortfall of sheer mhz numbers add to the fact you still have HT and badda bing badda boom you still have the better chip.

Finding one of these chips that actually does 300FSB isn't easy. Most people that have them don't want to sell them. Besides, I don't think my board could do 300FSB. I'd love to trade my 2.8 for someone's high clocking C processor, but if my board is really hitting a wall at 234FSB, then it's not going to help me much.

Back