• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Benchmarking, relative to real life

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Goodberry

Registered
I got 3Dmark 03, I ran the program, it was very nice and had some good graphics etc etc.... spat out a number at the end.

What sort of score do I need, realistically, to expect to run Hl2 and Doom 3 comfortably?

While I'm on the subject (just) would you prefer, if you had to choose because of limiting system factors, to

1). Run a game with all the settings turned down, but in a high resolution
2). Run a game with all the settings and effects on, in a low res

Any opinions on which way of running a game is better?

Goodberry said:
I got 3Dmark 03, I ran the program, it was very nice and had some good graphics etc etc.... spat out a number at the end.

What sort of score do I need, realistically, to expect to run Hl2 and Doom 3 comfortably?

While I'm on the subject (just) would you prefer, if you had to choose because of limiting system factors, to

1). Run a game with all the settings turned down, but in a high resolution
2). Run a game with all the settings and effects on, in a low res

Any opinions on which way of running a game is better?

Could you be a little more specific..I would guess 6500 would be a start to run those games..

I would run a game low res with eye candy turned up and AF/AA up high then vice versa.....

but always suit yourself by experimenting.

The crapper is HL2 and D3 use different rendering engines DX/OGL

so depending on what you really prefer you need to get ATI for DX, Nvidia for OGL

hopefully ATI will get their OGL together and make the world a happy place!

I would run with all teh effects up, then probably at teh highest resolution from there

for example, on farcry, you cna kill the jungle and play at 1280x1024 on a semi-decetn rig, but what's the point. It looks like crap without the jungle.

Back