• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

buying a refurbished motherboard. bad idea?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

elitebear4

im trying to order all my parts off of newegg to maintain some organization, and the only Abit NF7-s 2.0 mobo they have is a refurb. should i get it or is it a bad idea? also, what is the difference between the revised nf7-s and the first model?

elitebear4 said:
im trying to order all my parts off of newegg to maintain some organization, and the only Abit NF7-s 2.0 mobo they have is a refurb. should i get it or is it a bad idea? also, what is the difference between the revised nf7-s and the first model?
for the time it takes to put a mb in a case, get everything all set up, plug it all in. go to boot and no screen, hmmm, well 6 hours of testing later you find out that someone went thru the exact same thing and finally decided to rma it. now you have to send it back, shipping costs, waiting, messing with it, testing out to make sure its not the video card, the, ram, the HD, is your monitor working ok. it really opens the door for a lot of problems.
its up to you though.

Ditto, refurbs are just toss offs of what some overclockers do when they damage their products and won't pay to replace it*. It's a bad habit that so many oc'ers have gotten into. I wouldn't risk it, just buy a new one. The reduced price isn't worth the pain or the irritation.
* Not all overclockers are like this and some boards are just returned for other reasons.

Contrary to others here, I think newegg refurbed motherboards are awesome. I got a shuttle MN31N in october that retailed for $87 but I got for $55. It overclocked to a higher fsb than anyone else was able to with same board, 200Mhz. I also bought an Epox 8rda+ for $30 there. It couldn't go much higher than stock max speeds (175fsb max), but that was with my power supply undervolting considerably. Also I didn't encounter any of the horror stories associated with it, which is better than I can say for my other epox 8rda+ that I bought the old fashioned way. My brother recently (2 weeks ago) bought an A7N8X-E Deluxe Rev.2 for $50 shipped and it is great. It tops out at 220 fsb and works flawlessly. Another note- my shuttle and epox boards both came with everything extra even though newegg says they don't. My brother's A7N8X just came by itself with no extras. I'd say go for the refurb.

Back