• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ok, how does this computer look?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wuzzapiman

CPU = 2.6C cooled by Vapochill LE
Mobo = Abit IC7-G (Canterwood) cooled by water
RAM = 2x512MB OCZ PC4400 cas 3
GFX = X800Pro cooled by 226w peltier on water
HDD = 2xWD 80GB 8MB cache stripped RAID*
Case = the new purdy wave master like coolermaster thingi
CDRW = lite on 48x*

* means i already have it
i also already have the water cooling

my question is, A: is this a good gaming system and 18months futureproof?
B: how high can I overclock this thing?

I think that ram might be a bit of overkill but Im not quite sure, I would think you may want to go pc4000 instead, also is that ram registered? or unregistered? unregistered is better I know

you may want to take off the peltier on your graphics card or think about putting a smaller one and getting a faster cpu to start off at. like a 3.2c and maybe stick a peltier on that get it up really fast that way.

If your going for gaming though would look a bit more at a64's they normally beat intel's in gaming look at some review sites for benchmarks, heres one thread that benched the two http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=305591

I think that system would be good for 18 months but you might still want to look at a64's in order just to get the extra performance of this one.

I saw a review a while back that showed that the x800 and nv40 both didn't show much of a gain without a processor of 3 ghz or equivelant

Why would I want a 226w peltier on water instead of a vapochill?

I am shooting for 300FSB 1:1...

Is 5:4 better than 1:1?

Will I be able to get a AMD to 300FSB?

Why would I want the 6800? I want more FPS with all the goodies turned on. What RAM do you recommend?
Why the higher stock O/C?
Howbout a 2.8E?

The 2.6C is not that great of an overclocker on average. If you really want 300 FSB or at least close to it, you need a 2.4C. However, the 3.0C will probably get you the highest CPU clock speed. The 2.8E is a Prescott and I don't recommend them unless you get one of the new D0 steppings that should be out soon.

Luckily I have an 5-6,000 BTU unit sitting on the porch...will it be sufficient for direct die cooling?

batboy said:
The 2.6C is not that great of an overclocker on average. If you really want 300 FSB or at least close to it, you need a 2.4C. However, the 3.0C will probably get you the highest CPU clock speed. The 2.8E is a Prescott and I don't recommend them unless you get one of the new D0 steppings that should be out soon.

The highly hyped D0 stepping that we've been waiting for for a long time, right? ;)

Why would I want a 226w peltier on water instead of a vapochill?

I am shooting for 300FSB 1:1...

Is 5:4 better than 1:1?

Will I be able to get a AMD to 300FSB?

Unless you have the highest finest hand-selected RAM out there you won't get 300FSB 1:1.

5:4 performs decently for Intel platforms; though I reccomend running in synchronous at all times.

An AMD will not push 300FSB at this time. Keep in mind that an Athlon64 is less dependent on frequency and has the onboard RAM controller, reducing latencies.

The 3.2E D0 stepping is already available at newegg. I've been hearing about some incredible overclocks with it.

if your useing a vapo get the prescott no doubt. the new DO's are showing up in 3.0 and 3.2ghz
id go either of them but the 3.2 looks the best bet as it comes from newegg.
the 3.0 would match the ram better 1:1
but im finding 5:4 can be run and have just as much bandwith when you cant run 1:1 as efficiency goes up.but of course stay 1:1 when possible for best results.

i hope you have some experiance with all those differant types of cooling as you headed for a mess if not.

also you left out a psu,if you go prescott and a vapo i highley recomend 500wt+ high end psu. forton and sparkle make excellent ones rather inexpensive compared to others.adjustable rails also :)

ive heard that the 6800 GT is better in comparison to the x800 pro... however not so when the x800 xt comes out (or whatever its called)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuzzapiman
is 300x15= 4500 attainable with my cooling?
what about 300x10 for AMD?

the 300x 10 is very attainable for an amd 64 right now- i have seen many sites with people benching at 300x8 and someone hitting 320x8 for a screenshot
and the 4500 is attainable with a vapochill L.E. although a prometeia would be better suited

kurty said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wuzzapiman
is 300x15= 4500 attainable with my cooling?
what about 300x10 for AMD?

the 300x 10 is very attainable for an amd 64 right now- i have seen many sites with people benching at 300x8 and someone hitting 320x8 for a screenshot
and the 4500 is attainable with a vapochill L.E. although a prometeia would be better suited
i know nothing about amd A64 so i cant comment there,and im far from an expert in intel land.

anyhow you want 4.5ghz intel? dude are you serius? its gonna take some special planning and prep time to get that ill tell you now.

here is what you will need imo.
1. 3.2E DO stepping precott or a 3.4E DO or a p4EE
2. ic7 heavily heatsinked up and fans hitting everything.
3.not only a prommy/vapo but not no normal one try anything thats r404/r507 gassed.
4.pc4200/4400 ram
5. a psu that can power texas! 500wt minamum
6.experiance and research out the ***.

good luck man i hope you get that if thats your goal,its rather lofty imho.
even with what i just said and you buy/learn/build all that im not even sure those parts can do 4.5ghz then!

i do know what your going for and i dont blame you but its alota work and trial and error in between 0mhz and 4.5ghz :D

Howbout a 7,500 BTU unit charged with r136a or r404? Yes, I can get a mach II instead of the LE. The NB will be watercooled and mofsets and whatnot aircooled.

I sound like such a n00b because Ive been working with/ overclocking AXPs for the last 2 years. I have no idea how these pentiums work.

Back