• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

running dual monitors?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

VortexTk

Registered
Alright, so I just got my radeon 9800 pro in, and took out my gf4 mmx440. And today I just put it back in, because while it would not only look awesome, it'd be helpful sometimes to run dual monitors. Problem is, I have no idea what I'm doing.

I put the gf4 back, and the computer doesn't recognize it anywhere. I installed the drivers, if it screws anything up I'll just use one of those programs that seeks out all files of a certain type(in this case nvidia) and get rid of them. Anyways, the computer still doesn't know a second video adapter has been installed. Though I have a radeon 9800 pro secondary in the device manager(no idea?). Not really sure what else to do. Other monitor is just on standby mode, and yes I know it works. I've tested it before.

If anyone can guide my hand or give me a really good site that'll help, I was using windows xp troubleshooting stuff just to see what it had to say. Normally it has nothing useful at all, just stupid solutions that never solve real computer problems. It did say stuff about putting the card in the first pci slot if I have agp/pci cards, which I'm not sure what the first slot is. Closest to the agp slot or closest to the edge of the motherboard? Any help would be appreciated, thanks

u use the 9800pro card only m8

that will run dual monitors, u should have had some plug that converts the dvi plug(white one) on the pack of your 9800 and it come thorugh that secondary device u saw

its all in the manual m8 :rolleyes:

i run my projector off my s video

I bought the thing OEM, so I guess I need to get the adapter for it. Radio shack work?

Last edited:
VortexTk said:
I bought the thing OEM, so I guess I need to get the adapter for it. Radio shack work?

They might have one, but you still shoukd be able to se the PCI gf4mx.

RIght click on the desktop, go to properties, and under settings, it should show you 2 boxes. click on the inactive one, and click extend my windows desktop to this monitor and it should come up.

You can re-arrange them in this ctrl panel as well.

Works for me.

(must have both sets of drivers in, and it being an Nvidia/ati combo, GL LOL!)

Tried that, didn't work. -1 pixel by -1 pixel, it said that lol, was my only option for the 2nd monitor. Obviously it wasn't working. Not sure why. The card is recognized now but I get that error after installing the drivers. Any tips?

VortexTk said:
Tried that, didn't work. -1 pixel by -1 pixel, it said that lol, was my only option for the 2nd monitor. Obviously it wasn't working. Not sure why. The card is recognized now but I get that error after installing the drivers. Any tips?

Dont ahve a clue... odd error... :eh?:

I used a PCI ViRGE card for a while, just stuck it in and was set. :beer:

Do a search on pricewatch.com for DVI-VGA adaptors. You should be able to pick one up for under $10 shipped.

As for your GF4MX not working, make sure that you've got the drivers for it properly installed.

ebay is your friend... those adapters go for like 5 bucks plus a couple shipping, like Nero said, under 10 bucks shipped.

I don't know, I assume the drivers are installed correctly. I got the latest ones just off the site and installed just like I normally would, but I am getting an odd error when I go to right click on the desktop, settings.

"The currently selected graphics display driver can not be used. it was written for a previous version of Windows, and is no longer compatible with this version of Windows.

The system has been started using the default VGA driver.

Please contact your hardware manufacturer to get an upgraded driver, or select one of the Microsoft provided drivers."

Now I assume this error is about the gf4 because it gets the -1 pixel by -1 pixel resolution lol, and I can still see everything/run my games fine using the radeon. But yeah, I'll probably order the adapter no matter what, but it'd be nice to get dual monitors working now. If anything, just so I know how to do it with two cards when just one won't cut it.

*edit, And yeah, ordering one now. 8 bucks free shipping.

lol it sounds like that. I rechecked myself, went to the site, and nope I got windows xp drivers. I'd really like to get both cards working, but whatever, I'll have the adapter in the week atleast.

My dad has a computer with three monitors and it always gave him problems when he used an ATI card with anything else other than another ATI card.

ATI drivers don't play nice with nVidia drivers. Either pick up a pci ATI card, or use a dvi to vga adapter as listed above.

some old mobos (i dont knwo what you have) just plain out cannot use two graphics adapters. Examples are ECS K7s5A, ECS K7AMA, and the MSI boards that use early sis chipsets. So it might be that you aren't doing anything wrong; your mobo just doesn't have the capabilities.

I tried a agp gf2 mx400 with a number of old PCI cards on many machines using these older motherboards, and they all do something similarly wierd. The dual heads on modern cards are excellent though, and you should have some fun with that converter you got!

I'm guessing the mobo supports two cards. soyo kt400 dragon ultra. But yeah, in any case it doesn't matter, converter will be in wednesday. Can anyone tell me how dual monitors work though? lol

After you got everything hooked up right, boot into windows. Then go to display properties. Under the settings tab, you should see your 2nd display greyed out. You can move it around how you like, but remember to enable it. Click apply and you're good to go.

Back