• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bandwidth issues. . .

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gusgizmo

Disabled
With my farm running 100%, i have to take 4 hours every other day to replenish my WU stock. I just cant do this anymore, and I was thinking that there must be some way to download a gigabyte worth of WU on a friends computer on cable internet, compress them, then burn them to a CD. if i cant do something like this, then im going to have to stop crunching. its taking too much effort.

also, a scheduled dial wouldnt work for me for various reasons. i have already thought of this. and i dont want to spend an entire day every week downloading WU's.

Aww that's just too bad man! Don't you have any DSL or Cable ISP in your area with a basic plan that's almost close to what it's costing you right now?! Anyways don't shut down the entire farm, you can at least get a few WU's out whenever you're using dialup for your other tasks... The team needs all the help we can get, so a few WU's is better than no WU's at all anymore right?

Last edited:
Get a memory stick.

Transfer your Seti folder to it.

Take it to your friends DSL computer.

Upload finshed wu's. Download new wu's.

Take memory stick back to your computer.

Transfer Seti folder back to hard drive.

If you double or triple your cache wu's you can do this once a week.

If you have multiple computers, you can do the same with SetiQueue instead.

gusgizmo said:
im thinking about doing this with a cdrw. ill let you know if this works in th end.

You could transmit completed wu's on your computer and download wu's on your friends. That way you only have to burn once on your friends.

Transmit is only about 20k/wu vs 350k/wu to download a new wu.

Just wait until your cache is empty and then move the folders from the CD to your hard drive.

Harvey

Back