Notices

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > CPUs > AMD CPUs
AMD CPUs
Forum Jump

Shouldn't there be clock multiplier settings in A7V bios after unlock?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 08-18-01, 11:47 PM Thread Starter   #1
Fat Tony

Shouldn't there be clock multiplier settings in A7V bios after unlock?

I thought I had my Duron 750 unlocked but I thought that maybe there should be settings for the clock multiplier in the Asus A7V BIOS (1008) in Jumperfree mode after selecting User Defined settings in the BIOS but I only see settings for the FSB? Could anyone tell me?

Thanks
Fat Tony is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 08-19-01, 02:01 AM   #2
Rob Cork

There's always been some confusion over the A7V and bioses that supposedly allow you to change the multiplier in bios. I've never found a bios that gave me multiplier changes, though I've tried a few that claim to. I heard a while back that only rev1.04 boards or later (mine's a rev1.02 I think) could use the multiplier changes in bios, so if yours is earlier than rev1.04 you might ba out of luck. At any rate, I doubt the lack of a muliplier change in bios is due to the cpu being locked - if the L1 bridges weren't connected then you ought to still be able to change the multiplier in bios, you'd just find that either it wouldn't boot or it would still boot at the default multiplier.

The problem is the A7V wasn't designed to allow multiplier changes in bios, only through jumpers, and Asus haven't come up with a satisfactory bios that gives you 'soft' multiplier changes yet, AFAIK. Looks like it's jumpers for us A7V guys then

Please look at my site... :(

Tbird 1400@1680, 2.11V KG7-RAID
Watercooled, cpu temp under load 20C above ambient

"True wisdom lies in knowing that you know nothing"
Rob Cork is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 08-19-01, 02:23 AM Thread Starter   #3
Fat Tony

Thanks

Yeah. Mine's a Rev. 1.02 as well. I use a defroster repair kit to join the L1s. I just cleaned the stuff off and tried again but no clock mult. I guess I'll have to stick to the jumpers. Thanks for the reply.

Peace
Old 08-19-01, 02:27 AM Thread Starter   #4
Fat Tony

One more question

One more question. How do I know without a doubt that it is indeed unlocked ?

Thanks
Old 08-19-01, 02:56 AM   #5
Rob Cork

Just try booting at a higher multiplier using the jumpers on the board, simple as that - if it's still locked it'll probably boot at the default multiplier whatever you set it to, but it won't damage the chip if that's what you're afraid of. Seeing as it's a duron 750, try 800 - you should be able to run stable at 800 without raising vcore at all, so that'd be a good speed to test at. Hope it's worked, I know how much of a pain the L1's can be

Old 08-19-01, 06:59 AM   #6
!-=sky=-!

10 Year Badge

on my rev 1.05 board i can change multipliers in the bios or on the board.....i m using the 1008 beta bios
!-=sky=-! is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 08-19-01, 03:11 PM Thread Starter   #7
Fat Tony

Thanks Rob

I did what you said and it's posting as 800Mhz and it's stableso it must be unlocked. I'm going to go up from there. Thanks for the info. Is there a ratio that one should use to increase the voltage as the clock speed increases or is it generally hit and miss?

Peace
Old 08-19-01, 05:26 PM   #8
Rob Cork

Re: Thanks Rob

Quote:
Originally posted by Fat Tony
I did what you said and it's posting as 800Mhz and it's stableso it must be unlocked. I'm going to go up from there. Thanks for the info. Is there a ratio that one should use to increase the voltage as the clock speed increases or is it generally hit and miss?

Peace
Hit and miss

Just keep going up in speed till you become unstable, then raise the voltage by the smallest increment possible (0.05V) and try again, then see how fast you can get - etc...

Always keep a close eye on temps though - I'd stop ocing if and when your load temps pass 50C, though that's just my personal limit.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > CPUs > AMD CPUs
AMD CPUs