• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HIS 9800pro an XT?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DexterPunk

Registered
would just like to say a big HELLO! as im a newbie here..

i strapped on my overclocking goggles tonight and began tweaking my card.. as most of u would know.. the HIS "Ice-Q" R9800pro has the aftermarket arctic VGA cooler on it. i was originaly going to flash the card to try and get it to a 9800XT.. i was given some files which were named HIS.9800XT.Samsung.BIN or near enough.. and unfortunatly after flashing, artifacts were clearly visable in POST and windows.. i ended up reverting back to the old BIOS. But b4 i tryed all this, i took off my cooler to check the core and it was labled as a R360 core (which i understand is an XT core). Im not sure what else on my card is the same to an XT.. but i managed a decent overclock even for an XT.

default:
378MHz core
675MHz memory

o/c:
432MHz
742MHz

also went from 5650 3d marks, to 6235.

the default frequencies for the HIS XT is around 412MHz core and 730MHz memory... could it be possible i landed a rebadged 9800XT??? the card is running perfectly stable like this and can go higher again if i wanted. My other question is.. do i bother looking for another flash?? what are the benifits? and would i notice them? i heard (although im skeptical) that u can enable more pipelines to run when u flash a 9800pro to an XT..

any advice, questions, comments, flames are welcome.

really I don't think there is any benefit to that flash it just makes the default speeds that of the XT so overclocking is probably less of a hassle IMO.

Pipelines are the same on a 9800 Pro and an XT.

The main benefits you would gain, if it really is an XT core, are the on-die temperature sensor and the overdrive functionality.

There seem to be more benifits to the flash then you guys think. Here are the results I got when I did the pro to XT flash, using cat 4.6 drivers.

With pro BIOS at 411/365 I got around 6350 in 03.
With XT BIOS at 411/365 I got around 6750 in 03.

Since I was using the same drivers for both times, the BIOS is the only factor to account for the change.

Jarlax said:
There seem to be more benifits to the flash then you guys think. Here are the results I got when I did the pro to XT flash, using cat 4.6 drivers.

With pro BIOS at 411/365 I got around 6350 in 03.
With XT BIOS at 411/365 I got around 6750 in 03.

Since I was using the same drivers for both times, the BIOS is the only factor to account for the change.

whats the cause for this change, if its not pipes or freqs?? and how would i go about finding the right flash for me? i got one that looked very much like it should work.. as i mentioned in my first post it was named the flash for my card.. but artifacts were present even in POST. any ideas where i may have gone wrong? and does it really matter what my manufacturer is? can i just use some form of generic flash?? sorry for all the questions guys hehe :thup: thanks for the replys.

i just found out the HIS 128meg 9800pro cards come with either samsung or hynix ram.. the flash i used was for samsung.. im guessing this was the problem.. and i must have the hynix.. ill search for a better flash..

BTW is hynix or samsung usualy better?

I think the Hynix is usually better. Mine has the Samsung, and it came clocked @ 340 stock... Since then I've upped it to 380 w/o much problem.

I think I've hit my core's ceiling. I've mounted a 40 cfm fan next to the card, but can't get the core any higher w/ the improved cooling... 425 is all she'll do....

I haven't taken my VGA Silencer off yet to see if it's a r360 core or not though, but it's happily doing speeds faster than an XT.

hmm yeah same.. mines travelling quite a bit better than an XT.. thats why i was asking the question as to weather its even worth my trouble flashing it. but as one of the posts above sugests it is.. i guess i have to try for myself.

Back